Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Heat wraping CAI and exhaust

Old 09-10-2002, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat wraping CAI and exhaust

I'm going to heat wrap my CAI and my exhaust. The question I have is once the CAI is wrapped should I also wrap the TB? Should I also wrap the intake manifold or would the heat from the head just transfer to the IM and then sit inside the heat wrap and hurt performance?

On the exhaust how far back should you go? I realize that where ever on the exhaust you stop is going to be where the exhaust starts to cool and increases in desity. So does this mean if I wrap the exhaust back to the muffler that the engine wouldn't have to work so hard to push the less dense heated exhaust out?

Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:51 AM

only heat wrap your exhaust if you have an aftermarket header. The stock unit can crack if wrapped and forced to contain more heat than it was designed for.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:32 AM

on the CAI just wrap the areas where it might heat up. i think you want to go a lil crazy with your heat wrap, that stuff is expensive. IMO it wont do anything. my intake has no wrap on it and it doesnt heat up even when im tearing the sh!t out of my car.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:49 AM

for the CAI get some intake heat wrapping... its a velcro jacket that can come off and is for heat reflecting not heat retention.....
Old 09-10-2002, 11:03 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Viper966:
for the CAI get some intake heat wrapping... its a velcro jacket that can come off and is for heat reflecting not heat retention.....
You might wanna plumb-back the heater hoses if you go with jacket or some kinda wrap for the TB, or you'll end up with a local hotspot in the airstream which will only get hotter as the engine operates.

[ September 11, 2002, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: MechaniX_034 ]
Old 09-11-2002, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

From my experience. Heat wraping the CAI tube does have a definate effect. It helps keeps the IAT temps cooler.

Heat wraping the IM/TB would not help. They pick up the majority of their heat from the head. Re-routing the coolant lines that go to the TB is the best you can do for now.

For the exhaust, I would only heatwrap aftermarket headers. If you can afford it, and can afford to be without your car, go with ceramic coating over heat wrap. Looks better, and lasts much longer, with none of the adverse effects of heat wrap. I would reccomend heat wraping as far back as the muffler, but DO NOT wrap the cat converter, or any resonator/glass packs you may have. Those can overheat and melt/clog the internals.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:54 PM

Uhhhhh isnt there a company somewhere that does thermal coating in colours?

~Heat wraping the IM/TB would not help. They pick up the majority of their heat from the head. Re-routing the coolant lines that go to the TB is the best you can do for now.
~Random

Unless you have a thermal-coated IM and a phenolic intake spacer, which reminds me, how's the spacer coming along@Random????

[ September 11, 2002, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: MechaniX_034 ]
Old 09-12-2002, 05:39 AM

Random:

Heat wraping the IM/TB would not help. They pick up the majority of their heat from the head. Re-routing the coolant lines that go to the TB is the best you can do for now.
Can I hijack briefly with a stupid question? When you re-route the lines - I found a post that just said to use 1 and double it back. That I understand, is there anything to do on the TB itself? Or can the connectors be left open? I sort of assume it's a tube running around the TB and therefore the ends can be left uncapped?
Old 09-12-2002, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You could use the second hose (the one that is no longer needed) to route the TB lines back on themselves, but it is not really necessary. Those passages only route back to eachother. once you disconnect the coolant lines, air is free to flow in/out of them with no adverse effect.

You COULD try running cold water through the TB hose connections...but for the cost of an electric 12V water pump, and some sort of water container to hold cold water, and the weight of the system. I don't think there would be any benefit.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:39 PM

Random:
You could use the second hose (the one that is no longer needed) to route the TB lines back on themselves, but it is not really necessary. Those passages only route back to eachother. once you disconnect the coolant lines, air is free to flow in/out of them with no adverse effect.

You COULD try running cold water through the TB hose connections...but for the cost of an electric 12V water pump, and some sort of water container to hold cold water, and the weight of the system. I don't think there would be any benefit.
Have to agree on this one.