Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Headers and existing exhaust.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and existing exhaust.

Hey there,

I've ordered a 4-2-1 Header from SR and was wondering if it would bolt up to the existing exhaust. Basically are the stock headers and the SR headers the same length? I'm going to go full exhaust, but my curiosity is getting the better of me. smile.gif

Thanks,
Spatch!
Old 08-07-2002, 12:38 AM

Nope.

You have a cat welded to the outlet of the stock header, that has to be moved for the install. (And yep, moving a cat is illegal)

The stock exhaust manifold is really only a few inches long, the 4-2-1's don't merge until they are almost at the bottom of the engine bay. Modification is required to cut the cat in after the headers, install the O2 sensor holes.

But if you're going full exhaust, it's really a non-issue since everything is being re-fabricated anyways smile.gif
Old 08-07-2002, 10:09 AM

Can you still reuse the stock cat and just move it?
Old 08-07-2002, 10:13 AM

the stock cat is welded to your exhaust manifold and cannot be used.(there is also a 90deg bend in the end). it would completely negate the benifits of headers if you used your stock cat
Old 08-07-2002, 12:42 PM

Just the answer I was looking for.. I'm going to go full exhaust, but none of the exhaust/speed shops down here will install the headers... I'll have to do that at my house and then drive(very loudly) to the nearest exhaust shop. I was hoping that it would bolt up, but I figured it would be longer. I guess curiosity killed the "cat"... Woah... Bad pun... smile.gif

Thanks,
Spatch!
Old 08-08-2002, 04:27 AM

thats pretty mutch what you have to do, if they ask what happend to your cat? tell them a big rock hit it and destroyed it, so thats why they need to install a highflow one (they need a reason to replace the cat).

anyway.