Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

header vs. cam

Old 08-15-2002, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header vs. cam

I'm thinking about getting either a header or a cam for my car. If I get headers, this will also replace the catylitic converter on my car, which sits right on the exhaust manifold. I'm not worried about emissions or anything, except that my o2 sensor my not like the emissions and make my car run slow(er). Also, would I get better performance out of a cam or headers? If I get a cam, I'll probably get RPW's, not the elantra gt cam.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:42 AM

You need to get the headers before the cams...the cams will increase the velocity of the exhaust gases, and you will need more space to let them escape. Also, if you go with aggressive cams, you will need to replace the spings, HLA lifters, and other internals to take the added lift. Cams are a much more involved and hardcore mod than headers are. Not to mention after the cams, you need to get an S-AFC to tune it. The XD cam is a simple drop in cam because it is not a wild cam, the RPW are.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:43 AM

if you get cams... get them tuned with an SAFC for maximum gain
Old 08-15-2002, 05:46 AM

Thanks, that pretty much summed it up. That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted a second opinion. Any suggestions on a header? 4-2-1? 4-1? HVE or SR?
Old 08-15-2002, 11:00 AM

Probably SR, they are nicer...I have HVE...no flex pipe and it costs more to install I think...but I dont have any experience with the SR headers.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:06 AM

I'd go with the SR Headers they will give you more then the cam would and then go for the cam afterwards.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:16 PM

does sr not carry any headers in stock in the U.S?Because mine was shiped from korea and i had to pay over $100 in duty,it wwould be nice if they could carry products like that in the u.s.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:10 PM

ok, here's the lowdown. First of all, cam's don't increase velocity of exhaust gases. they allow more lift of the cylinder's valves so you can get more in and out quicker. The XD/GT cam is a intake cam only, and you'll only see benifit if you have full I/H/E. As for RPW vs Headers. do the headers Especially since you already have the MBRP exhaust. I have the 4-1 headers, carsound cat and mbrp exhaust from speedstate and i love it. You will HAVE to put a glasspack on your car.i recommend 2"+ i'm putting a 48" on this weekend wink anyway.

If you have a MT i recommend the 4-1 from SR. They don't take too long to get to you (10days or so) and they have all the flex pipe and are solidly built. The guy that helped me put mine in, said they were some of the best headers he's seen for imports (most of the honda cr4p is porly made).

Have them ceramic or heat wrapped so you can get the best out of them too.

but apart from that, if you have any questions, shout cause i've done this before.