Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Header Noise question

Old 07-17-2001, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Noise question

Well, my two options are still Turbo or N/A. Trying to scrounge up the flow for the Alpine kit while it's "on sale" smile.gif but it looks unlikely. A bonus we usually get at work may not come through (stupid economy ) and my tax rebate won't be here until september. So I'm researching my N/A options as well.

I like the 4-2-1 headers from SR, b/c my car is a dailly driver and I don't race that often. I just want some passing power and "stop-light manuvering" power for driving around town.

Anyway, due to VA's exhaust laws, I don't want the cops pulling me over for a loud exhaust, so I was wondering how I could shut it up without a full replacement. I was originally planning to keep the stock cat-back to keep it quiet, but it seems like the 4-2-1's will be loud as hell even with the stock exhaust.

Will a 24" glasspack in addition to the muffler shut it up? Are these bolt-up affairs, or will I have to pay a shop to put that on?

Thanks,
a
Old 07-17-2001, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

When you go with the headers, HVE's or SR's, you will get loud. You will also need some exhaust work to bolt it up to your system.

At that time, they can install 1 or 2 glasspack resonators to quiet things down. A decent "quiet" muffler will also keep the DB level down.
Old 07-17-2001, 05:23 AM

From what I've read, my 1.8 (with cat under the car and one O2 sensor to worry about) is a bolt up affair. The 2nd O2 stays put behind the cat and everything else fits fine.

I'd like to put them on myself, if it will work. There's a midas shop and ID_tuning knows some places around here.

ah decisions, decisions.

anyone recommend a specific "quiet" muffler or brand/size of glasspack?

thanks,
a

a
Old 07-17-2001, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

with the cat underneath, then yes, you are one of the few that it will bolt up to.

just using the stock exhaust and muffer should keep it fairly quiet. If you go with a custom exhaust, go with 2 glasspacks, or 3 if the shop can fit them in.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:44 AM

Here's is another post on this topic

click here
Old 07-17-2001, 09:54 PM

I understand I'd get better gains from a full custom exhaust. However, the headers will still give plenty of gains, even with the stock exhaust. Pipe flow is a summation of the resistances and bends. An optimized header still frees up the flow.

As for a glasspack, they are ideal because they do not obstruct the flow. True that they do allow expansion and contraction (mild) of the flow, but they are not nearly as bad as a true resonator, or a more constrictive cat or muffler.

Finally, we get into back pressure, which is what I'm also worried about. Random posted here that the supercharger kit made less horsepower with a less restrictive muffler. Free flow is not always a good thing. I want to keep low-end torque. This is a daily driver car for me, and line launches are more important than 70-90 passing speed.

I can't afford them yet anyway. I'll have to wait until August. Still trying to finance that turbo though. ...sigh...

a