Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Happy with my custom 4-1 header.

Old 11-12-2001, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy with my custom 4-1 header.

Last week I decided to buy a header for my 99 tib, at a local machine shop. It only cost me $185. Later at home, I wait until the engine cool itself for a couple of hours. Then I began with the process of removing the stock manifold with the complication of the need of take off the power steering pump. The old man of the machine shop told me that I can use the same gaskets, the only thing that I have to make sure is that I have to apply a thin coat of high-temp silicone just to make sure that will not have any kind of leak. After the installation of all parts, I start the engine but the problem was that I dont like the sound of my exhaust, it was very loud. The other problem was that I felt my car a lot more slow than with the stock manifold. After that test I came to the conclusion of installing a high flow cat, that maybe will help me with problem and probably change the way of how the car sound. Next day I got to the muffler shop to install the cat into my custom 2.25 exhaust system. Later, after the installation my car felt and sound a lot, lot better, that idea of free flowing exhaust system in 4 cylinders NA engines that was the best way to have power that I get in the November issue of Sport Compact Car Magazine was false. 4 cylinders NA engines need a little of backpressure to obtain the maximum of the exhaust systems. Since then I go out everynight with the hope of eating some Acura or Hondas and some other folks but nobody want to race me, and I dont know why. smile.gif
Old 11-12-2001, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 06 Tiburon

What is your 0-60 time with the headers and new cat?
Old 11-12-2001, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Noel-

What SCC published is true. Try to install a 4-1 headder with 3" primaries and end it just at the 4-1 junction. Then do it again with a properly tuned 4-1 header with 1' or 1.25 primaries and a 2.25' or 2.5" exhaust. the slight backpressure of the smaller exhaust system will give you more HP and less noise than the monster 3" system.

It all comes down to your definition of "slight backpressure". usually, for a 4 cylinder street driven car, you want between 2 and 5 psi of backpressure. However, 99% of people never measuure backpressure, and don't know how to measure it.

Even just installing headers created backpressure. If you wanted a 0 backpressure system, just remove your headers! *grin* THAT would be LOUD!

I agree with you...having to remove the PS pump bracket just to get the headers off is a MAJOR Pain! Hyundai Engineers at their finest...
Old 11-13-2001, 08:54 AM

I got a GTECH PRO but I dont trust it, the reason is that I use it in the Drag Strip and the time in the paper (16.5s at the quarter mile)were very different than the time that show the GTECH (was like 1.2s less) . Somewhere I read that the GTECH will not work properly on FWD cars. sad.gif I just know that the little tester need a very flat and level street but if anyone know how to get accurate numbers with it, I will be very thankful.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Noel-

To get accurate numbers with a gtech, you need to enter in the accurate weight of the car + driver + Everything in the car.

Easiest way to do this is to put your car up on a scale with you in the drivers seat. Many recycling centers have such a scale.

Once you have the accurate weight of you + car + mods...then you should get accurate numbers out of the gtech.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:15 AM

Random, the gtech only need the weight of the car when you need to measure the hp. For measuring the 0-60 or 1/4 mile times you only need to search a plain street, without any kind of bumps, and to put the gtech right underneath of the center mirror inside your car. These are the conditions that say in the manual.

Other thing do you believe that I can run low 15s or maybe high 14s at the 1/4 mile with this mods:
1- Custom 4-1 header.
2- Home made CAI with the filter inside of a little room in the left front mud-guard.
3- 2.25in exhaust system with NAKAYAMA dual tip muffler.
4- 55hp shot by ZEX.
All other things remains completely stock like wheels, suspension, and engine internals.

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: Noel ]

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: Noel ]
Old 11-14-2001, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Low 15's should be possible with that setup, and high 14's on a good day with a good run.

Biggest problem is the stock tires lack of grip, the stock suspenson being so soft, and the stock clutch possibly slipping with the power from the Nitrous and the abuse of a drag launch.

I managed a 15.3 at 2500 feet in less than ideal conditions with 169 HP to the wheels. You should be around that HP level with a 55 shot, and you are closer to sea level, so 14's should be possible with a good run. If your 60' times are 2.4 or higher, consider upgrading the stock tires to something stickier.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:14 AM

I got Falken Tires and feel that they have more grip than stock Michelins.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

With the Falkens, high 14's should be dooable on a good day. Expect consistent mid to low 15's untill you get your launch perfected.