Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Got new parts....now I'm worse off!

Old 09-07-2001, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got new parts....now I'm worse off!

I just got a new ignition coil, throttle position sensor, and fuel filter. The install on everything was pretty easy. I started the car, every sounded and looked good. I took it for a drive, then my CEL came on and it idled rough. Man, what the F@#k!

I try to save money by doing things myself, but then my car takes a sh#t on me for it. These are genuine hyundai parts from the dealer. I don't believe I should be having this problem. Nothing is out of place, nothing doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

Does anybody have a clue as to what could be happening? HELP! PLEASE!

Peace. J.Skid. sad.gif sad.gif
Old 09-07-2001, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 PI

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the TPS need to be "trained" after install? I would go and get my Chilton's but its in the trunk and it's storming very nicely.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The TPS does not have to be "trained". It is a standard poteniameter. meaning, it varies voltage based on it's relative position. Just make sure it is ON all the way and that the shaft of the Throttle butterfly is inside the TPS snugly.

My guess is that one of the plug wires is loose/bad, or they are wired out of sequence, so that the firing order of the car is changed.

You could be leaking fuel out the fuel filter connections, but I'm fairly confident you would see/smell that.

Triple check your plug wires. If they are 100% on, and in the right order...start replacing them one at a time with the old wires until the problem clears up. You can then tell which wire(s) are bad. It is possible your new coil is bad, but I doubt that.
Old 09-08-2001, 01:26 AM

Thanks alot, guys. I'll check the plug wires today. I hope the new coil isnt bad. The guy at the dealership said it would be difficult to get my money back or replacement. I thought he said that to me in spite cause I wasnt paying him to do the repairs. But if he was right, man, that's going to suck.

Well, I'm going to the garage. Thanks, talk again soon.

Peace. J.Skid. wink.gif
Old 09-08-2001, 02:51 AM

Problem solved!! Thanks for the suggestions!

One of the plug wires was loose on the coil and my MAF sensor was loosened, maybe from all the bumping with turning my wrench.

Thanks again! Peace. J.Skid.
Old 09-08-2001, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Cool, glad you got it resolved!