Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Goddamn O2 Sensor Bungs...

Old 09-10-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dood, I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I had to get a bung welded on for the first O2 sensor, back when I waged my own war against the Maintec GT headers (which I ended up selling).

REDZ, soldering is EXTREMELY easy. If you can work on your car, you can solder. Take 2 wires, twist them together. Take the soldering gun, heat the wires up. Once the wires are hot, press the tip of the solder near the tip of the gun (where the wire should be hottest). The solder will melt, covering a portion of wire. Repeat until the until spliced area is covered in silvery solder goodness.

Or, you can try to find a welder to weld another bung in. I would recommend having it welded on the driver side, near the point were two of the runners meet. That's the closest you'll get to a stock reading.

Anyways, good luck with this. Hope you get to go enjoy NOPI.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I DID READ JEEZ LOL. CALM WITH THE CAPS SIR wink1.gif

All you need is your first 02 sensor before the cat, since that determines your a/f ratio. The second sensor take it out for now until you have a bung OR zip tie it securely outside the pipe, that determines if your cat is good or not. Thats it.

And shit dude, soldering 101^^^^^. Good tips right above. I have mine with a female and male connecters. Didn't solder them.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ive never heard of any connectors that extend it. at least for our cars. even a bad solder will hold up just fine. just twist the wires together and drip some on there. use shrink tube to insulate it.

or you could always trailor it to nopi lmao.gif
Old 09-10-2006, 07:55 PM

Soldering is not hard, REDZ.. just remember this. Make sure the wires melt the solder NOT the soldering iron. What you want to do is twist the wires together and place the tip against them until both are equally hot enough to melt the solder. Once that happens, just touch the solder to the wires and let it naturally flow between the strands until the copper looks silver. Pull the iron away and let cool.. You should have a fine solder joint.

If you really want to be neat (and I expect you do) place a length of shrink tubing over one of the wires before you twist them together and push it out of the way of the heat. Once the wires are soldered together, slip the tubing over the bare wire and use some heat source (lighter, match, heatgun, torch) to shrink the tubing nice and tight around the wires. This will protect them from corrosion and make it look all the more professional.

And agreed above. Just run the first o2 sensor for now and learn to ignore the light until you can get the bungs sorted out.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (javageek @ Sep 10 2006, 03:44 PM)
Grrr.... First off do not be afraid of soldering. It is EASY to splice two wires together. You could probably just keep your second sensor out of the exhaust for the week. Just make sure it is secured so it doesn't get damaged.

If you wanted to get a bung welded in after your cat it would probably cost about $25.

I'm not afraid of soldering. I've done it before, but I usually get shitty results and messed up connections.

QUOTE (hamhead @ Sep 10 2006, 03:48 PM)
The first o2 sensor goes in the bung on the flex pipe. The second one gets welded on afterwards. You can run without a second o2 sensor, you'll have a CEL but you'll still be getting fuel readings.

The racing headers are the same way.

There isn't a bung on the flexpipe. I don't think that's possible to put one on it.

Problem with the CEL is, I JUST INSTALLED MY AIRRAM, and I want to be able to SEE if I get any CEL's while driving the 21 hours to Atlanta.

QUOTE (Mister_Sinister @ Sep 10 2006, 03:59 PM)
Dood, I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I had to get a bung welded on for the first O2 sensor, back when I waged my own war against the Maintec GT headers (which I ended up selling).

A couple of folks did mention that you needed one, a couple said they didn't need one.

Or, you can try to find a welder to weld another bung in. I would recommend having it welded on the driver side, near the point were two of the runners meet. That's the closest you'll get to a stock reading.

Which was one of my points. I just paid 175 dollars to have these Ceramic coated. Do you think I'm getting anything welded on up there? LOL

Anyways, good luck with this. Hope you get to go enjoy NOPI.

I will, thanks.

QUOTE (tanc @ Sep 10 2006, 04:33 PM)
All you need is your first 02 sensor before the cat, since that determines your a/f ratio. The second sensor take it out for now until you have a bung OR zip tie it securely outside the pipe, that determines if your cat is good or not. Thats it.

This is what Viper suggested via IM, I may do that. But I still have to extend the wires. That's an issue for me. Also, I'll have a CEL, and that's not good to have a constant CEL when driving 1400 miles after a couple of serious modifications.

Ya feel me?

And shit dude, soldering 101^^^^^. Good tips right above. I have mine with a female and male connecters. Didn't solder them.

See, I can DO that, but I keep hearing that I'll get a CEL if I don't solder.

QUOTE (Ericy321 @ Sep 10 2006, 05:03 PM)
ive never heard of any connectors that extend it. at least for our cars. even a bad solder will hold up just fine. just twist the wires together and drip some on there. use shrink tube to insulate it.

We had a thread about them a few weeks ago. Type in o2 sensor extension into our site or google, they are all over. Just knowing which one fits the best with minor modification would help.

or you could always trailor it to nopi lmao.gif

That was the plan. Unfortunately, the Sorento isn't ready to tow yet. Got the hitch, but it isn't installed yet, and it'll cost me about 250 bucks for the reciever, ball, lockpin, harness, brake controller, adapters, wire, ect.

Unfortunately, the "IGNORE THE CEL" isn't my prefrence right now. My FAMILY is going with me and we have to be back on time for my son to continue school.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:18 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

your tiburon probably had a setup like mine for some reason. the 2000 tiburons have 2 cats. mine only had one. how many sensors does your tiburon have? two? you have to extend both sensors. the downpipe with the headers has only one bung because you cannot fit a catalytic converter in the downpipe.

one sensor is inside of the first catalytic converter and a second sensor after the second cat at the bottom with a bung in the exhaust. what the downpipe allows you to do is extend the first sensor into that bung. then you're supposed to weld an aftermarket high flow cat into your aftermarket exhaust. when you get the aftermarket cat, you should get one with a bung already in it. your second sensor should extend into that one.

18 gauge wire (4 wires per sensor) and i sucessfully extended both sensors without a CEL. there simply is no other way. you need a high flow cat. i should have told you earlier but i thought you knew about that Jerz. That's why I got my headers on along with my high flow cat and custom exhaust all at the same time.

dude don't get a bung welded to your headers!!!! just do like i did. aftermarket ehxhaust and have a high flow welded into the mid pipe. first sensor into downpipe bung, then extend your second sensor into the high flow cat bung.

you can put in an airram but you stay away from soldering! i'll solder anything but i won't put in my own airram. lmao.gif i didn't solder sh*t and everything is fine. measure the extensions. soldering is a good idea, just get a butane soldering gun from radioshack (you can buy butane from CVS and inject it) just make sure to wear eye protection and solder all the wires on a table. it's easy but make sure to wrap each conection with electrical tape so they don't touch each other. use that special rubbery water-tight tape you can buy from home depot. don't use the regular plasticy electrical tape. took me maybe a half hour. it's easy mang.

i want to help you as much as possible. my configuration goes like this [gt headers, downpipe with first sensor, glasspack, midpipe with cat with second sensor, muffler] if you don't have a high flow cat or aftermarket exhaust you're screwed...
Old 09-10-2006, 09:31 PM

my 2000 only had 1 cat also.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Sep 10 2006, 09:18 PM)
how many sensors does your tiburon have? two? you have to extend both sensors.

Yes. I stated this in the first post. 2. No, the second sensor needs no extension. Just the first one.

the downpipe with the headers has only one bung because you cannot fit a catalytic converter in the downpipe.

Well DUH.

one sensor is inside of the first catalytic converter and a second sensor after the second cat at the bottom with a bung in the exhaust.

No. One sensor is in my first converter and the second one is right after the flexpipe, but before the second cat.

when you get the aftermarket cat, you should get one with a bung already in it. your second sensor should extend into that one.

This is option 3, mentioned in the FIRST POST.

18 gauge wire (4 wires per sensor) and i sucessfully extended both sensors without a CEL. there simply is no other way.

Yes, there is. There are 3 other ways, listed in the first post. Sensor extension harnesses are out there. There is a thread about them on this site.

you need a high flow cat. i should have told you earlier but i thought you knew about that Jerz. That's why I got my headers on along with my high flow cat and custom exhaust all at the same time.

No, you don't need a high flow cat. I can do it the way it is now, but need to find a place to weld a o2 bung into my stock exhaust after the second cat.

Dude don't get a bung welded to your headers!!!!

I'm not going to. That's why I posted the 3 options at the first post, but ruining my coat isn't realistic.

you can put in an airram but you stay away from soldering! i'll solder anything but i won't put in my own airram.

I can turn wrenches fine, electronics shock me, and I've been to the hospital too many times for electric shock. I let others do electronics for me, or I splice. In this case, I want to do an extension. There are TONS of these harnesses out there, hence why I'm wondering which I should try.

I have a soldering kit. I don't use it. it's so folks can solder at my house.

if you don't have a high flow cat or aftermarket exhaust you're screwed...

No I'm not. Not at all. I can do like I said in number 2 option in the first post. Stock exhaust, no CEL from 2nd o2 sensor, possibly one from the primary though.

I MAY try to get ABQElantra to come over and help me do this this week before I leave, but I really need to find someone to weld a new bung in for me before that.

My car is a 2001, 2 cats, 2 sensors.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

ok that clears things up bro. i thought you only had one cat. if you have two you can just get rid of the first one altogether and just extend the sensor. you are going to have to get a bung welded into the exhaust after the second cat but the only problem would be for $600 you wouldn't really notice gains from the headers until you would have upgraded the cat and opened up the exhaust a little.

once you get it extending the wires, it won't be a problem. you can try to get that harness and maybe try something new, but either way it's the same effect.

good luck man.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I meant there is a bung after the flex pipe. You put the first o2 sensor there, if you cut back the wire loom you can put it in there with no extension.

Just wait until you get your new aftermarket exhaust in, paying someone to put a bung in the stock exhaust after the second (now your first cat) would be silly if your going to end up replacing it very soon.