Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Gen1 Tib - need help in identifying sensor

Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe
Default Gen1 Tib - need help in identifying sensor

Hi all,

a sensor in my gen1 recently broke off. did a bit of research in the site and all symptoms point to a broken or faulty crankshaft sensor. i was looking for pictures on the site for a gen1 to properly identify the CPS but couldn't find any.

here are pix i took from my car. can someone identify the sensor for me please?

it's basically located here:

fJ0wjl.jpg

here's a closeup of the female end of the sensor:

NOC4Bl.jpg

another pic. the male portion of the sensor just brokeoff. couldnt find the plastic bits. this left the wires from the sensor exposed. there are 3 wires that go into the femal end of the sensor. couldn't take a pic coz my camera's flash is broken. bugger that.

eemjpl.jpg

symptoms of the car is exactly what's described in this thread. symptoms have been there ever since my i got my car so i think that the sensor was already broken for almost a year. it's only now that the plastic bits fell off.

thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Electronic Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) > TIBURON(RC) >1997 > G 2.0 DOHC > General > COMPONENT LOCATION INDEX > Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor > Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor

Open Internet Explorer. Go to http://hyundaitechinfo.com/ and sign up for a free account. ALL the manuals for your car, free, online, straight from Hyundai.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i believe that is your knock sensor-...

the sensor stocker is referring to, is the one that is closest to your oil cap in the first 2 pics.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

knock sensor is lower on the block right under IM just to the right (driver) side of starter. the CMP is on the head and is above/beside the IM. from where his original pic shows i would guess knock sensor
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

That is from the Knock Sensor, The one Stocker show is just above it, there should be a bracket that is actually held on by the Intake manifold bolt ( on the very bottom on the right, just under you hand in the picture) that is suppose to lock onto the male side of the connector and hold it when hooked up.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:50 PM

hi guys, looks like i've got 2 problems..

one is that my Crankshaft Position Sensor is busted, hence the difficult starts when the engine is hot (starts ok when cold).

Second is that unidentified sensor. i signed up for an account in the hyundai service website but can't find anything about the knock sensor. anybody can point me to the page?

also, i'm getting feedback that the sensor im having identified is actually the MAP sensor. can anyone confirm this? or is this information wrong?

thanks in advance guys!

EDIT: For better pictures.

so here's where the broken sensor is from..

kp82cl.jpg

here's the other end of where it broke off..

wiOXLl.jpg

here's both ends pictured together to illustrate where they all sit..

zZI32l.jpg

================================================== ==

on an unrelated issue so that i won't need to create another thread: this is the acceleration sensor, right? found it through the HMAService website. there's an empty hole to the left of the component. should something be connected here? i'm the 3rd owner of the car so i'm not sure what the previous owners did or fixed. looks like it's not the original sensor i think.

uAQQjl.jpg

again, thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 AM

got more feedback from a different forum.. broken sensor could be cruise control. my car doesnt have this so really cant confirm. any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

it could be your cruise. but did you even check the knock sensor? its literally the only thing that bolts to the back of the block. between the starter and A/C pump. if its not the knock then it has to be cruise because the cmp wiring wont stretch that far.

i dont believe that is the orginal sensor for the accelerator. but as long as the back connecter is plugged in you should be alright.

also your CRANK sensor is on the front of the block by the header and if that or your CMP is broken your car wont start at all. so if your getting difficult starting its not either one of those. it would then be a crank no start situation.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 AM

Those pictures are actually new. i took a look but really could not match the knock sensor location with the broken sensor i have (i'm looking for that circle end. the male-female connector looks generic).

To confirm, what are the symptoms from a broken knock sensor? i've read that it retards the engine when something goes wrong.. i'm afraid i wont be using that testing route unless i want a broken car. i also dont get a Check Engine Light.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

shop/fuel system/ mfi control/ knock sensor.