Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Gear Oil? Nut size?

Old 01-27-2003, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Oil? Nut size?

I was trying to change my gear oil this weekend, and ran into a couple problems. First hmaservice suggests 75-85W GLC-4 oil for my tibby. And all i could find was GLC-5 so i'm assuming its just better. But i forgot which type of gear oil eats away at out tranny. I got Castrol Hypoid C 90W gear oil. Non-synthetic. Will that do? Also got 2quarts of it.

Anyway. I found the nut at the bottom of the tranny but i think its a 20+mm bolt, so i didn't have any tools for it. Is this the right bolt? also found a little rubber stopper at the top of the tranny, but i think were supposed to put the oil in the tranny via a bolt about halfway up the tranny. And fill it up till it starts leaking out.

can someone tell me if i got this right? Also what size is that bolt so i can get a socket for it. thankx.

ps, i'm not sure, but i think i saw some metal bits though the top rubber stopper, so should i run a quart through that thing to clean it out, or just say f-it and just fill it though the mid-level bolt?

thankx guys
Old 01-27-2003, 12:54 AM

I filled mine through the side blot "halfway up the tranny" . I can't remember the size of the bolt off-hand, but i think it was either 20 or 22mm. I do remember not having the right tool either...hehehe
Old 01-27-2003, 01:00 AM

Hey Decker, well, from my experience it's easier to fill the tranny from the top by removing that stopper you mentioned. It's probably slower but easier. Just make sure you take that mid-level bolt out...you could fill up the tranny from there (i was for long time until someone mentioned the rubber piece on top) but it'll be messy and bit tedious however faster.

I can't find the gear oil that Hyundai recommends either however i've been using 75-90w and things work good. It's a bit crunchy on very cold mornings but i added this oil stabalizer "Lucas oil something" and it works GREAT! Love this stuff. Wish i had put it in my gear box a long time ago.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:21 AM

I would not use GLC-5. Those are made for a different kind of transmission.

Most GLC-5 oils corrode the syncros in GLC-4 transmisions.

Have you seen the previous posts?
DONT USE Mobile 1 Synthetic Gear lube or other GL/C-5 oils.

Hyundai uses GM SyncroMEsh, stock
I use Redline MT90, and I always get compliments on how nice it shifts.

Those that have used GLC-5 fluids in their transmission , have either developed shifting problems or needed all new syncros with in 10k miles.

Also, I believe GLC-5 has less friction modifiers. And those that I have noticed using it. After a good run, you can smell the reisdue burning off the transmission, it let it get that hot.

I seriously would take it back and either get Redline MT90, or GM syncromesh. Also B&M has a GLC-4 fluid out.

Now also remember, corrode lengths depend on how much you misshift. Giving it new metal to attack all the time will kill it quicker.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:30 AM

See thats why i was weary. I thought GLC-5 at away at our tranny, but i wasn't sure smile.gif good thing i didn't use it huh? lol.

anyway, now i'm gonna try find some Redline MT90 somewhere on the internet.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:44 AM

Summit sells it:

Redline MT90

[ January 27, 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Skitzo ]
Old 01-27-2003, 04:49 AM

i love you guys!
*HUG*
uhmm....errr.....
*HUG_in_a_non_gay_way*
Old 01-27-2003, 05:38 AM

These guys have always been good to me.

http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/620022.html
Old 02-03-2003, 01:34 AM

Decker,
Here's my webpage on it (although most of it has been covered here). The oil to avoid is Mobil 1.

Any non-synthetic of the proper weight should be fine.

http://www.geocities.com/acurtas/turbo/gearoil.html

hope this helps,
ac
Old 03-30-2003, 07:44 AM

I finally got around to changing my gear oil today, thought I'd update this with some info. The overflow bolt on the side is 17mm, and the drain plug was 15/16". Might have a metric equivalent, but the largest I had was a 22mm and that was at least a couple sizes too small. I had only bought 2 quarts of Redline, so I also bought a quart of the Lucas Oil Stabilizer and put half of that in. Filled it through the top spot, which takes awhile, especially with the Lucas stuff which is like honey. Definitely shifts nice though