Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Gas treatments contatining alcohol?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Track
Default Gas treatments contatining alcohol?

HEET gas treatment is 99% methanol and 1% proprietary additive.

PDF Link

Prestone gas line antifreeze is 90-100% Isopropanol (Isopropyl Alcohol).

PDF Link

As we all know todays gas is (normally) cut with 10% ethanol.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

My thought and questions-- Todays ethanol in gas is the worst thing to happen many people will say.

The above alcohols have different names so I think they are somehow chemically different. Are they?

Why would a guy want to add MORE alcohol to todays gas?

Are these products just lingering from a time gone by?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Originally Posted by Screamer-
HEET gas treatment is 99% methanol and 1% proprietary additive.

PDF Link

Prestone gas line antifreeze is 90-100% Isopropanol (Isopropyl Alcohol).

PDF Link

As we all know todays gas is (normally) cut with 10% ethanol.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

My thought and questions-- Todays ethanol in gas is the worst thing to happen many people will say.

The above alcohols have different names so I think they are somehow chemically different. Are they?

Why would a guy want to add MORE alcohol to todays gas?

Are these products just lingering from a time gone by?

Methanol is a one carbon alchol, ethanol is a 2 carbon based alcohol and isopropyl is a three carbon based alcohol. And yes they aren't much good when using E10 gas.

When E10 gas gets too much water in it the ethanol will attach to the water and come out of suspension in the gasoline. It will sink to the bottom and is almost impossible to 'burn' off.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

No. Not all alcohols are a good idea to put in gasoline, but one is a GREAT idea if you have condensation build-up in your car's gas tank. Use isoproanol to get the water to 'dissolve' into the gasoline, then run the engine and burn the 'wet' isopropyl in the combustion chambers during normal driving. That is THE easiest way to get water out of a gas tank, if you happen to have rubbing alcohol handy!