Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Full Tune-up And Parts?

Old 02-09-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that this is a bit of a stupid question; but I'd like to know a little more about what I should do as far as a full tune-up goes and what parts I should get. My main objective is to gain gas milage. A little extra power would be cool too. However, I'm not sure what plug wires or plugs I should get tho. I want blue plug wires, tho. As far as any other parts, I have no clue what to do. I'm not looking for the best of the best, but I don't want to go with stock stuff either. I'm looking to hit the midle ground as far as OEM parts and High Performance parts go, you know? Also, I'm not 100% sure as to what a full tune-up consists of. I want to do what I can do, and I have no problem paying somebody to do what I can't do. Now that I've got me a second job now, I'll be able to this stuff pretty quickly without doing everything all at once. Any suggestions here would be a great help. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Easy here.

Do them in this order.

1. Go to www.prdonline.com and order your wires. FANTASTIC wires with a lifetime warranty, in more colors than you can shake a stick at.

2. Go get some B12 Chemtool from Walmart, pour it into a mostly empty tank and fill it up with fuel. Run hard for that tank.

3. Contact Faithofadragon here on the site via PM and get some spark plugs from him. They'll be pregapped, and VERY good plugs, for very cheap.

4. Go to the DIY section and do the Resonator Removal and Throttle Body Coolant Bypass modifications. They are free and will definately help out.

5. Get your oil system FLUSHED and filled with a good synthetic blend. Use a high quality filter on it.

6. Get your tranny flushed and refilled with GOOD stuff, like Royal Purple or Redline.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

well...

There's the Timing Belt kit from kspec.com (comes with all the belts you need, water pump, and tensioner pulley, etc.)

A new Fuel Filter

change all your fluids, including oil and oil filter.

new plugs (plain ole coppers work just fine. less than $5 a box of four)

new wires, now you have choices... OEM NGK's, Inzama whatever from kspec.com, overprised Nology wires, NGK.com, or my personal fovorite PRD wires (try PRDonline.com).

air filter replacement

the list goes on...

but at most shops a simple tune up consists of new plugs and wires and them checking out what they think is wrong and them giving you overpriced labor costs for what they think is needed to fix it.

If you have many miles, I'd highly suggest the timing belt kit from kspec.com and everything else can be done on an as needed (after inspection). Of course, there's more than what's listed. You can even get into handling aspects of a tune-up and start rotating/aligning wheels, new tires, adjusting wheels...etc etc.

full vehicle make-overs are fun, time consuming, but rewarding. =)
Old 02-09-2006, 05:38 PM

Ok. Cool. Now for severl more questions. (I'm full of'em)

*I like the PRD wires (price and look). However, I'm unsure of the color. I want to know wich blue to go with: blue or color rapped blue? The idea is to have a blue closest to the dark blue paint job my tib will have (eventually).

*B12 Chemtool? What is it and what does it do?

*Resinator removal... Can I leave the Air duct in?

*Throttle Body Coolant Bypass... In the DIY, you show 2 TB's one is the stock (I'm assuming) and the other is one you sell on kspec (assuming again) Do I need the one you sell; can I use the stock TB? If I use the Stock TB, should I get plugs/covers for the Coolant nipples?

*Also, I noticed that the 58mm TB you sell is listed at $0. Why? I'm confused... ugh.gif

*Can I flsh the tranny myself? If so, How?

I've already replaced the air filter, just got an oil change, and just had tires rotated. On that note, Does Wheele size affect gas mileage?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

as listed in the notes on kspec
if it shows $0 then its out of stock

to be technical a tune-up is just spark plugs....
Old 02-09-2006, 11:26 PM

^^^ OIC... lol... That makes sense... "Call me stupid..." lol...

"A tune-up is just spark plugs..." Huh? Elaborate, please.

BTW... faithofadragon >>> Do you have those spark plugs Redz is talking about?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:28 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

first thing im gonna tell you is stay away from shops..they're gonna rip you off. be a diy'er.

I'd stay away from engine and transmission flushes, they use some pretty harsh chemicals. I'd get some auto-rx (autorx.com), and use good synthetic oil like mobil 10w30. also always use k&n hp1004 oil filters
for the tranny, there's a diy on how to change it, buy some royal purple 75w90 gear oil to fill it with.
get an AEM cold air intake, improves performance and gas mileage
do the b12 chemtool thing that redzman suggested
go to www.clubplug.net and get NGK V powers or the NGK Iridium spark plugs
PRD has good wires, NGK makes good ones too. NGK come in only blue, PRD come in any color you want
get the timing belt kit like patreezy said if you're past 60k and don't think it's ever been changed, it should be changed every 60k.
change fuel filter
get a coolant flush & fill from a shop

after that, get some lightweight 17" rims and it will feel+look like a new car! cool.gif
Old 02-10-2006, 03:51 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

"A tune-up is just spark plugs..." Huh? Elaborate, please.

our vehicals have distributorless ignition. There isn't much tuning you can do with the stock system.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Very true.

QUOTE (calmb4dastorm13 @ Feb 9 2006, 05:38 PM)
*I like the PRD wires (price and look). However, I'm unsure of the color. I want to know wich blue to go with: blue or color rapped blue? The idea is to have a blue closest to the dark blue paint job my tib will have (eventually).

Look around at some of the posted pics of them. I'd get the blue wires with a black wrap or something. Someone here got black wires with blue wrap and they look awesome.

*B12 Chemtool? What is it and what does it do?

It's a fuel injector and fuel system cleaner. It cleans those items. You can use it in the oil too but I never have. Read the directions.

*Resinator removal... Can I leave the Air duct in?

Ehh, why? No reason to remove anything if you are leaving that restrictive ass pipe in there. Go take it all out.

Do I need the one you sell; can I use the stock TB? If I use the Stock TB, should I get plugs/covers for the Coolant nipples?

No, you don't. Yes, you can. No, you don't need to.

*Also, I noticed that the 58mm TB you sell is listed at $0. Why? I'm confused... ugh.gif

If you read the FAQ at our site, the Koreans do that to keep something on the site that is currently out of stock.

*Can I flsh the tranny myself? If so, How?

Yes. You'd drain your fluid, fill it back up with some cheap stuff, run it a bit, drain it again, and then fill it with the good stuff.

Wheele size affect gas mileage?

Yes.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:20 PM

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Feb 10 2006, 02:51 AM)
our vehicals have distributorless ignition. There isn't much tuning you can do with the stock system.

^^^
OIC... I remember reading about that. I got ya.

As far as the resinator removal, I'd get an CAI but that's $200 That I'd rather spend after all the other tune-up options. Matinance first then overal performance upgrade. You know what I mean. Thanks for all the input.

One more curious question: as I do these tune-up procedures, think I should write up a DIY? All keep the DIY in mind as I do my work if anybody thinks I should.

Thanks a ton everybody.