Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Full Rebuild While I'm In There?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'm going to have a rebuilt head

I'm going to have the transmission off for replacement

I'm going to have the pistons/rods out to install the 1.8L pistons...

Why not throw some new stock-sized bearing shells on the big-ends and mains, and throw front & rear bearings & seals in there while it's apart? If I get a full rebuild kit, they'll likely be in there anyhow...

Is it worth the effort to replace the rod & main bearings & main seals with stock size, without checking clearances, when nothing is falling apart or leaking (yet)? I'm also inclined to let it go until it does start leaking. I should get an oil pressure gauge too eh.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

unless you know a good shop that could fabricate all that for cheap, and you're diggin in there anyways go for it. i would do it, but it might end up costing a bit more than just replacing the engine.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

fabricate what?

shop? You mean, my garage!

It's all in a full-tilt-boogie engine rebuild kit, including the parts I'd need for the head, so a couple hundred bux tops.

The engine runs fine now, but I *am* going to be in there so I thought I'd get a few more opinions.