Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Fuel Problem

Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

This past Saturday I started my rd2 and drove it around the block. I went to start it up today to turn it around in the garage and could not get it to start. I noticed that the A/F was pegged out on lean, which is not normal after trying to start. I had my wife attempt to start it while I watched the fuel pressure gauge and the gauge did not move at all. I opened the fuel line running to the pressure regulator and it has positive fuel flow. I pulled the rail and had my wife try to start it while I watched the injectors, no spray at all. For some reason the injectors are not spraying, is there a way to test them out to see if they all went bad or something?

**Update**

Something I also do not understand is why I have fuel flow to the regulator but no pressure indication on the gauge.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

your pump can still flow a little when it's bad but it won't be strong enough to build up any appreciable pressure. without pressure you can't shoot fuel through the tiny hole in the injectors when they open.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:50 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

^ this is true, but im gonna look into something at work tomorrow an see if my hunch is right
Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Good call on the pump not putting out enough pressure. You would think though that I would get a reading on my pressure gauge.

I am also kind of wondering if the fuel filter may be clogged due to only having about 1 mile put on the car since February.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

maybe, b but im wondering if our cars have a problem with the fuel regulator going bad, i think its built into the pump tho im not sure im researching trying to find out but idk yet, because that also could be the problem
Old 09-05-2008, 11:58 PM

Ok, let me know what you find out.

One thing that was different that I just thought of is my map sensor was hanging down below the intake manifold. In the haltech instructions it says to make sure the manifold is higher than the injectors so fuel does not run down the vacuum line and ruin the sensor. I don't really see that happening due to where I have the lines run.

The vacuum line running to the adjustable fuel pressure regulator had a hole in it, I replaced it with silicone vacuum line.

I went out and was looking at the map sensor and noticed some sketchy wiring, I am going to order a new harness for it. -- I almost think this could be the problem.

I did notice that now when I first turn on the car and hear the pump running the pressure gauge rises to 45ish and then drops back down. I don't exactly what it gets to because I am the only one awake right now.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:02 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FPR could cause an issue but ours are on the rail. And Java I think has an aftermarket one I'm sure. And actually when our FPR goes bad it runs super rich because it leaks through the IM.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 AM

Yeah I have an Aeromotive Adjustable.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

Ok, becarefull when you do this.. get 2 long wires and connect them to the + side and - side of the battery.

on the injectors pull the jacks all off..

then put one wire on the on the left and one on the right {--} and tap the wire. on the injector terminal.
you should hear a click when you lift them on and off.. if you dont the injector is dead.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:39 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Also, put direct 12v on your fuel pump. You should be able to build fuel pressure in the fpr. If it still displays 0psi. Than go to a hardware store. Get yourself a T fitting with 1/4"NPT on each end and get yourself a psi gauge. Put 2 barb fitting on each end and the gauge on top. Use that after the FPR see if you get pressure, if not check before. If you do its the FPR. If still no psi, check before fuel filter. If no psi, its your pump or a line broken/kinked.