Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Fuel and maxhp questions?

Old 04-22-2002, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel and maxhp questions?

In a month i'll have my Bored IM in my tibby, so far from back to front i have
K&N/CAI/BBTB/BIM/GT Cams/4-1 Headers/Carsoundcat/SpeedStateExhaust
and I have a s-afc(not tuned yet). I'm waiting to get the IM in before the s-afc gets tuned. So assuming all the N/A parts give me mid 160-170hp and tuning the s-afc should bring me up to 170-180hp. I haven't dyno'ed my tibby yet, but what would you guess my wheel hp is? roughly. I was guessing my stock is 120whp, and 20whp for full exhaust work and 20whp for full intake work(including cam). Am I being a little bit optimistic?

Now the question is, should I get one of those turbo talon fuel pumps for my tibby since i'm nearing the HP limit of my fuel pump? Brendan's site calculated the max amount of HP deliverable by the tibby is 184 crank hp.

[ April 22, 2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Decker ]
Old 04-22-2002, 06:09 AM

id say yah, but im not an N/A guy... rolleyes.gif

anyhoo, if i were you id get a pump, and one of these These
Old 04-22-2002, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Decker

I'd expect you to put down about 135 to 150 to the wheels on a dyno. That should be about 155 to 170 at the crank.

If you are STILL HP hungry, underdrive pullies, and a port/polish job for the valve would help.

You will probably also have problems with the stock clutch slipping...and might want to consider upgrading that, and upgrading the flywheel at the same time.

You are reaching near the limits of the stock fuel pump. When you dyno tune the S-AFC, you will find out if you keep running lean at high RPM, that the Fuel Enrichment of the S-AFC is not able to account for. If so, then you need a larger fuel pump. If you still plan on adding the above mods...the fuel pump would be a wise investment, and you might as well do it before the S-AFC dyno tune, just to make certian that the fuel is there.

[ April 23, 2002, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 04-23-2002, 03:14 AM

well i'm about to get my BIM in the next month, and i'll have all the mods. So i guess i'll go ahead and get the fuel pump to keep up with the mods before the s-afc dyno tune.

i'm getting the Walbro 255Liter High Pressure fuel pump kit for 1995-1999 Eclipse/Talon Turbo, is this the correct fuel pump? anyway its new and its $100.

As far as the clutch goes, i am noticing it starting to slip, could you explain a little more about how to fix that? Just get a new clutch? what stage and why should i get a flywheel? Would a flywheel increase hp?
Old 04-23-2002, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

That is the correct fuel pump. Where did you get it from?

For your mods, a stage 2 should be fine. A stage 3 would be a tad bit of overkill.

A lightened flywheel will not "make" hp, but it will free up HP that is currently being used to turn the mass of the flywheel. A ligher flywheel makes more difference in the lower gears. The engine will "rev" faster when in neutral and it will also transmit more power to the wheels as less power is being sapped by rotating a heavy disc at high speed.

An article in Sport compact car showed the following.

By going with a flywheel that was 6lbs lighter the effects were like removing the following weight from the car.

250 Lbs in first gear
125 Lbs in second gear
75 Lbs in third geear
40 Lbs in 4th gear
20 Lbs in 5th gear

That is just a 6lb reduction in flywheel mass. Some lightweight flywheels for other engines can save 12 to 18 lbs. The only places I know to get lightweight flywheels for the tibby are.

HDK (ugh!)
Fidanza
RPW
HDK

I'm not sure on the weights of any of them, or the weight of the stock unit. I have ordered in an RPW unit, and will provide weight comparison once I get my hands on one.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:22 AM

sweet, thankx.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:35 AM

Oh random, I know a guy that'll sell me them new for $105 shipped. If you guys want to start a group buy or just want his email, just email me.