Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Fuel enrichement

Old 08-11-2002, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel enrichement

Hello all...... Here's what I have in mind to do the fuel enrichment on my 2k1 GL w/turbo. Build a Window Comparator connected to the O2 sensor. That way anytime that O2 sensor voltage would drop below a pre determined point, it would turn on a "Cold Start Injector" from a Vw Golf, and spray additional fuel into the intake.

Now......My question to all is....Am I just chasing my own tail on this or do ya'll think it would work???????? BTW, my car is currently off of boost, due to the fuel problem. (Thought I had it figured out but, I hooked it up to a OBD-II scanner and found out that I was running Waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy Lean.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:04 PM

Hyundai engines do not have a cold start injector, they use Cylinder number 1 injector. which is the same one used during normal operation.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:53 AM

I never said that my engine had a cold start injector. I said that the injector is from a VW. That's the one that I am gonna mount in the intake.

Red, anybody else got any ideas about this?????????
Old 08-12-2002, 05:30 AM
Red

Hmm...

I don't suggest running it from the O2 sensor, you're just asking to kill an engine when the O2 sensor dies. And yes, I said when the O2 sensor dies, because it will

Use a 5-volt 2-bar GM map sensor plugged into the intake manifold, and run your "window" switch off that puppy. When the MAP sensor starts reading over (x) volts, start pumpin fuel. Of course, that voltage will end up equating so some amount of manifold pressure, so essentially you have a boost-dependant fuel source.

Much more reliable, although I still do not like 5th injector setups either way. I would much rather suggest you find a set of Tiburon injectors or something and strap on an S-AFC and dial the injectors down a bit...
Old 08-12-2002, 05:32 AM
Red

Oooh, better idea. Cheuk will like this...

If you're aiming for low boost, just go pick up an adjustable rising rate fuel pressure regulator. In this case, it will make your life a lot easier than trying to fabricate something electronic, and will be cheaper than the injectors+safc part.

You'll still need a fuel pump that can deal with higher pressure tho...
Old 08-12-2002, 07:13 AM

Red,

The 2k1 GL has the freaking returnless fuel system, so without replacing the whole system, I'm stuck trying to piece it together. That is until I can convince the ol'lady to allow me to do a Beta swap.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:22 AM
Red

Welp, you get to install bigger injectors and an S-AFC then
Old 08-12-2002, 10:19 AM

Red, what do you think of Greddy's Rebic III????? I think I can pick one up fairly cheaply.