Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Free power !

Old 08-06-2001, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free power !

One thing that I notice when I wrap with aluminum paper my air temperature sensor (ATS) was the different that my car run after that trick. It feels more powerful than before. Then I tell to one of my friends that have the same 2.0L engine to do the same trick on an Elantra and he notice the same difference too. Another guy that have a Toyota Tercel make the same trick and notice a difference in his car. I think that the computer car reads lower temps. and send more gasoline to the engine.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:40 PM

actually I think that it reads less oxygen, and panics, and release more gas "just incase". I've heard of removing the sensor, but I like your way better!
Old 08-06-2001, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The IATS (Intake Air Temp Sensor) needs to measure the temp of the intake air for the MAF to make the right calculation of air flowing past it's sensor.

If you mess with the IAT, you are messing with the MAF.

I would be willing to bet, that your piece of tin foil over the IAT is actually heating up to the same tempature as the outside air, thus still giving an accurate reading to the MAF.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but I think it is all in your head. the only way to fool the ECU into adding more fuel would be to Fool the ECU into thinking that the intake air is a different tempature would be to put a resistor in line with the IAT wire. (al la Red).

There are no power secrets. See the previous thread.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:14 AM

I replace the aluminum paper with THERMO TEC heat reflective tape and wrap the intake tube with it. smile.gif
Old 09-06-2001, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by Noel:
I replace the aluminum paper with THERMO TEC heat reflective tape and wrap the intake tube with it. smile.gif

Heat wrapping the intake tube is a good idea, but wrapping the IAT is a BAD idea.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:51 AM
Red

Ugh.

Noel, I tell you what. Take your car to the local dyno shop. SPEND THE MONEY and do it. Want to know why? Because I think you are making changes that are HURTING performance.

Your car's performance will not improve with more gasoline. It needs more AIR first before it can use more gasoline. Thus, if you have done nothing to improve airflow, you have absolutely no use for more fuel.

Besides that fact, since your car is a MAF-equipped version, the car can already adjust for increases in airflow. If you bolt on a nice wonderful cold air intake, the increase in airflow is automatically registered by the MAF sensor onboard. You don't need to "fool" the car into delivering more gasoline, because it already is.

Just like Random said -- there are no "power secrets". It works the exact same way in every internal combustion car. Pay attention right here:

Air and fuel must be properly balanced. If you add fuel, you MUST add air or you lose power. If you add air, you MUST add fuel or you lose power. If you dump 5 tons of gasoline into space and put 8 billion ampers of spark energy to it, it still would not burn because you DON'T HAVE AIR.

There are no secrets. It's all very well documented. And most of it is common sense...

-Red-
Old 09-06-2001, 12:40 PM

Red let me tell you my mods. Look for this topic August 9 "How to get colder air from your aftermarket intake", search for the pictures of a tib with a HONDA CIVIC SI CAI and look for the place that end the filter (inside the front mud guard and behind left side of the bumper in a very big room with plenty of fresh cold air) the only difference with mine is that is completly custom made, cheaper, with an AEM bypass valve and don't have chrome details. You will never find another colder place that this one. When I get home after a long ride around town I touch the filter if I feel any sign of heat but until today I don't notice it. I promise that with this custom made CAI you will feel a lot of difference in comparison to those that sharkracing and other dealers sold to our cars.
Other mod is a custom made cat-back 2.25 inches with a dual tip NAKAYAMA muffler; BOSH Platinum +4 spark plugs with Magnecors wires; B&M fuel pressure regulator and two spiral-max (many people test this things in the dynos and prove that don't make horsepower but I dont care if they produce it the real thing is that you will feel the difference from the earth to moon in third gear and above, just try them).

Future mods are camshafts, electric supercharger E-RAM, custom made header, and Zex kit ( to kick some of the new honda/acura sport cars butt and create some respect to the HYUNDAI family).
Old 09-06-2001, 01:12 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

DO NOT GET THE E-RAM. Its a hoax.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:16 AM
Red

I will simply emphasize what has already been said.

The only performance mods you have on your car right now is the intake and the (questionable) cat-back exhaust. The muffler does not give you horspeower, it gives you the sound you want.

AEM bypass valve? It does not add power.
Plugs? They do not add power.
Wires? They do not add power.
Turbo-zets? TWO of them? This probably REMOVES power.
Fuel pressure riser? ABSOLUTELY no power. Probably REMOVES power too because you're running too much fuel.

You keep talking about "feeling" the power. So what exactly are you feeling? You know what? I *felt* power when I first had my cylinder head reworked. But you know what? When I went to the dynoshop, it initially made TWO HORSEPOWER of difference. Do you know what I was feeling? I was feeling the rush of the $500 I just layed out to pay for the damn thing I was also feeling one clogged injector (so it idled "lumpy), one nonfunctional spark plug that was shorted out (so it idled even lumpier because it was running on three cylinders), and also "felt" all my oil draining out the side from the cam angle sensor not being installed properly. It was later all fixed, and THEN it produced much better results -- ON THE DYNO.

All this "power" you're feeling has a specific medical term: it's called PLACEBO effect. Your mind knows that something has changed in the car, and so your mind makes it seem like the car feels different -- whether it really does or not. It's a psychologically proven fact that if you fool someone's mind, the mind can fool their body. Placebo effect is generally referenced when talking about drug testing. You "fool" someone into believing they are getting headache medicine, and watch to see how many actually get rid of their headache. You'd be suprised how well it works...

This is why you take it to a dyno shop. This is why you let a MACHINE measure the difference. It doesn't care if ANYTHING has changed, it will only tell you what it measures.

And as for your "custom Si intake", I've probably seen it, and like a lot of custom intakes, it probably has it's own problems. If you're so certain that it works so well, why don't you have it dyno tested?

-Red-