Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Free Cracked Exhaust Manifold Replacement Campaign

Old 06-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

This thread is intended as a reference we can point people to when they end up with a cracked exhaust manifold, especially when their local dealership tries to give them hassle (and bills) for replacing a part that is covered under a nationwide free-replacement campaign. Note that this is for RD and some XD & GK cars, Elantras AND Tiburons

For a few years (at least) Hyundai thought it would be a great idea to weld the catalytic converter on your car to the exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold is therefore part of the housing of the cat. The manifold is cast iron and so designed (no expansion cuts on the flange) that it *will* eventually crack. Then your catalytic converter's housing has a hole in it. This makes Uncle Sam want to stomp on Hyundai's pee-pee, so Hyundai will
FOREVER
replace your qualifying old exhaust manifold (with catalytic converter), free of charge. I had this done on my own car, and got zero hassle about it. They did warn me about the possibility that the Oxygen sensor might get stuck in the old manifold, which is NOT covered by the campaign. You may end up paying for a $170 OEM O2 sensor if yours gets stuck.

The following text was lifted directly from the .pdf file for this campaign at hyundaitechinfo.com a few minutes ago, and I [snip]ped out a few unimportant parts

Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin
Group: CAMPAIGN
Number: 05-01-001-1
Date: March, 2005
Model: 1999-2002 Elantra, 1999-2003 Tiburon

Subject: EXHAUST MANIFOLD ASSEMBLY INSPECTION AND REPLACEMENT CAMPAIGN - V04

This TSB supersedes TSB# 05-01-001 to include additional part information and part return shipping instructions.
IMPORTANT: DEALERS MUST PERFORM THIS CAMPAIGN WHENEVER AN AFFECTED VEHICLE IS IN THE SHOP FOR ANY MAINTENANCE OR REPAIR AND PRIOR TO RETAIL DELIVERY.

IMPORTANT: WHEN A VEHICLE ARRIVES AT THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT, ACCESS HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA’S WARRANTY VEHICLE INFORMATION SCREEN VIA DCS INTERACTIVE OR DCS ON-LINE TO IDENTIFY OPEN CAMPAIGNS.

DESCRIPTION:
Exhaust manifolds on some 1999-2002 Elantra and 1999-2003 Tiburon vehicles with 2.0L L4 engines may crack and require replacement. Inspect the exhaust manifold for cracking and, if necessary, replace the exhaust manifold with a new part using the following service procedure.
[snip]

VEHICLES AFFECTED:
• Models: Elantra and Tiburon vehicles with 2.0L engines
• Affected Production Date Range:
• 1999-2002 Elantras: Produced through January 31,2002
• 1999-2003 Tiburons: Produced through January 31,2002

PARTS REQUIRED:
Part Name Part Number Remark Illustration
Manifold - Exhaust
28510-23311 1999-2000 Elantra (RD) CAL Spec / 1999-2001 Tiburon (RC) CAL Spec
28510-23431 1999-2000 Elantra (RD) FED Spec / 1999-2001 Tiburon (RC) FED Spec
28510-23711 2001-2002 Elantra (XD) CAL Spec / 2002-2003 Tiburon (GK) CAL Spec
28510-23721 2001-2002 Elantra (XD) FED Spec / 2002-2003 Tiburon (GK) FED Spec

Gasket - Exhaust Manifold 28521-23004
Gasket - Exhaust Manifold 28764-28020

SERVICE PROCEDURE:
NOTE: Verify that the vehicle qualifies for this campaign by checking the “Warranty Vehicle Information” screen via DCS Interactive or DCS Online.
A. Exhaust Manifold Assembly Inspection
[snip]
3. Check for cracks between the ports of the exhaust manifold.
NOTE: Heat shield removed for photographic purposes only. Heat shield does not need to be removed for inspection.
4. If no cracks can be seen in step 3, lower the vehicle and use a mirror to inspect for cracks on the ports of the exhaust manifold.
5. If there are no cracks on the exhaust manifold, no further work is required.
6. If cracks exist on the exhaust manifold, perform the following exhaust manifold replacement procedure.
[tells how to remove the exhaust manifold]
8. Install the new exhaust manifold assembly and the upper and lower exhaust manifold gaskets.
[snip]

CAMPAIGN CLAIM INFORMATION:
NOTE: Submit claims using the campaign claim screen. Shipping of Exhaust Manifolds Via Roadway All Exhaust Manifolds replaced during completion of Campaign V04 will receive a Parts
Return Notice from the Warranty Technical Center. The following provides details regarding the return of these Exhaust Manifolds. 1. The Parts Return Notice will indicate where to ship the Exhaust Manifolds: All Campaign V04 Related Exhaust Manifolds: TO ARRANGE FOR PICKUP USE HYUNDAI DCS ON-LINE AT: WWW.HYUNAIDEALER.COM. Roadway will pick up and deliver the parts.

OP CODE OPERATION OP TIME
40B040I0 Exhaust manifold assembly inspection 0.3 M/H
40B040R0 Exhaust manifold assembly inspection and replacement 0.7 M/H

Proof: my receipt. Note the cost incurred by (the customer) me: $0.00

My shiny new manifold. It's covered in grease which cooks off and it will end up covered in surface rust like the last one in a few days/weeks of driving.

To clarify in case you didn't get it: YES this means you get a fresh catalytic converter as well as the new exhaust manifold (they are welded together), new gaskets, and they will not charge you for parts OR labor. Which is good because this is a THOUSAND DOLLAR PART replacement from the dealer$hip if you don't have it done under this campaign. The service manager told me, as long as it was replaced by a Hyundai dealership the first time, if the manifold cracks again, they will replace it again.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Mine was replaced under warranty after I had the car for about 4 years I think.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Is the bad one the manifold with cat seperate? Thats the one I have on my RD2 and its cracked. I havent called yet to check but I think I should be covered. Otherwise Im selling it anyways so whatever.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

The manifold that bolts onto the top of the cat is NOT covered by this. It will crack too, but the replacement is on you. That one is $200, or an excuse to get a tubular header.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 PM

hey, i`m not sure if mine is cracked, bot i am having issues which i believe are caused by the cat being plugged.(low performance as car is driven longer)Does this campaign apply in Canada & to secodary owners of the vehicle or is it only a warranty thing.......
Old 08-18-2009, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

^ way to quote a HUGE post with two bigass images inside...

The cracked manifold recall applies to secondary owners. This has nothing to do with clogged cats though..
Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 PM

QUOTE (deadz67 @ Aug 18 2009, 10:44 PM)
hey, i`m not sure if mine is cracked, bot i am having issues which i believe are caused by the cat being plugged.(low performance as car is driven longer)Does this campaign apply in Canada & to secodary owners of the vehicle or is it only a warranty thing.......

just an update,
i have the 1 piece manifold into cat setup, but when i called my local dealer with my vin he said my year wasn`t part of the campaign....
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

You are going to catch a warning pretty quick if you insist on quoting posts in the same thread, especially if they are YOURS or huge long ones with big images. It's obnoxious.

Click the Add Reply button or the Fast Reply button at the bottom of the thread or REDZMAN will jump down your throat and use your hand to move the mouse onto the Add Reply button. FYI.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 PM

sorry, but what`s the difference? doesn`t the whole thread show up anyway?

by the way , thanks for the informative response on my thread
Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 PM

The dealership shouldn't give you any problems servicing your 2000 tib. A beta I with welded mani/cat is a beta I with welded mani/cat no matter how you slice it. Bring a copy of the campaign to the dealership (or fax) and have them search for the info themselves like the memo instructs.