Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Intake, Exhaust (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/)
-   -   Free Cam Sprocket Mod ! (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/free-cam-sprocket-mod-21406/)

col96fx 09-05-2004 04:41 PM

Re: FINALLY; Production of new gen Hyundai super-engines

Originally Posted by supry
My bad, I was thinking ignition timing way back up top. Does seem like a good mod though. If I recall corectly I thought that we had non-interferece engines, meaning that no matter what the valves will never hit the pistons due to improper timing.

NO our engines are interference, so advancing/retarding to far will bend valves.[/quote]

Originally Posted by sideman8
after i moved it i moved it bak and its was still weird, wen i did the mod i removed the belt tensinor, would that have made any difference?

You just want to hope that the belt didn't move on the crank pulley, or you may have moved the timing more than you wanted. Check your timing marks on both pulleys.

tibu971.8L 09-05-2004 08:12 PM

Re: Help with Clutch

Here's an interesting read on cam timing:

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/insidet...ology/camgears/

Here are some points for everyone who has done this "mod":

Intake Cam Gear 3 Degrees Advance
(Ignition Timing Set to 20 Degrees Advance)
RPM Peak HP Peak Torque
7250 252.0 183.0
Power is up through the drivable portion of the graph. The only point where the power was hurt is in an area where most cars are not used in. Advancing the Intake cam closes the intake valve-closing event earlier than intended and on cars with relatively long inlet runners such as those on most production cars can hurt the power. The column of air in these manifolds has a lot of inertial energy to "ram" the air in well beyond BDC. This means that air continues to fill the cylinder even though the piston is on its way back up the cylinder. Closing the inlet valve earlier in this case negated the positive effect of the inertial energy in the inlet column. In the case of this car we were using a Type R manifold, which has somewhat short runners so the effect of using the inertial energy in the manifold was negated. In fact there appears to be a positive effect of closing the inlet valve sooner, which may be attributed to the fact that the inlet charge may have been partially wasted in the overlap event due to excessive blow down of the inlet charge.

Exhaust Retarded 3 Degrees, Intake Retarded 3 Degrees
(Ignition Timing Set to 20 Degrees Advance)
RPM Peak HP Peak Torque
7750 250.6 170.0
Here we effectively leave the overlap the same but move the valve events to a later time. This is the second best change in terms of power in the useable power band but still does not match the Intake advanced position.

Now you fools that did this mod, retarded the timing 10 DEGREES OR MORE!! 8O :x
You definately must have lost power + expect to have a paperweight Beta engine in the long run.

Christs sake spend the $80 and get the freeking OBX cam gear on ebay.

silvertibbs 09-05-2004 08:41 PM

TigerLily 270 Beta in/ex cams

Nuff said.

col96fx 09-07-2004 07:57 PM

Re: VHR Xtreme Super Single & Race Twin Systems

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibu971.8L)</div><div class='quotemain'>Now you fools that did this mod, retarded the timing 10 DEGREES OR MORE!! 8O :x
You definately must have lost power + expect to have a paperweight Beta engine in the long run.

Christs sake spend the $80 and get the freeking OBX cam gear on ebay.</div>
If I counted right there is 42 teeth on the top timing belt pulley, so moving the pulley 1 tooth = 8.5deg (roughly).
IMO this would not be a good thing to try.

teamsr888 09-09-2004 04:54 PM

Re: Exhaust Question

Well, I did mine last Sunday when I was bored. I have no problems, the car runs fine. The idle is good. The power in the upper is good. My intake is a lot louder now. The bottomend I feel no difference. I've probably put 200 miles on this setup so far with no problems. FYI, I have 115k on the odometer. :o

iamcyclopseatme 09-09-2004 05:35 PM

Re: FS: Alpine turbo kit

Hrmm.. Ok.. For above.. How do you NOT lose bottom end and gain topend? Its just not possible w/ this mod.. Your MOVING when the cam opens and closes the valves.. There HAS to be give and take.. And how does it add to your intake sound? Your not adding any duration or lift..

tibu971.8L 09-09-2004 06:03 PM

Re: Custom Short Shifter.

Listen now buddy, stop IMAGINING your gaining horsepower ok? It's like when you install your first Intake; YOU WANT to believe you just gained 15hp TO THE WHEELS.

Lol, don't you think if you gained a lot of top end with 10 degrees retard everyone would do it?

sharkev 09-09-2004 09:01 PM

Re: Wiring harness w/aftermarket bulbs?

So!?.... can anyone tell me for sure what I have to do if I want more top end power?... i Have to advance or retard?!..... to adance I have to turn the cam sprocket clockwise 1 tooth, right?!... or this is retard....

can anyone tell me what its right?

thanks

iamcyclopseatme 09-09-2004 09:07 PM

Re: Engine Caps maybe?

Get an adjustable cam pulley if your gonna f*** w/ the cam timing.. This way is not good or reliable.. Theres a reason hyundai set the cam gear where its @...

teamsr888 09-10-2004 08:35 AM

Re: Gauge Group Buy GREAT DEAL from Splitfire!! NOW TAKING M

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tibu971.8L)</div><div class='quotemain'>Listen now buddy, stop IMAGINING your gaining horsepower ok? It's like when you install your first Intake; YOU WANT to believe you just gained 15hp TO THE WHEELS</div>

Hey BUDDY, I'M NOT STUPID. Obviously an intake doesn't add 15hp to the wheels and If anyone believes that then they are DUMB. And, I'm not imagining anything. All I said was I can't feel a difference in the bottom end and the top end seems to pull harder. The engine is definetly sucking more air in because my intake is louder. Why don't you try it before you knock it. You'll never know until you do. THANKS BUDDY!!! :roll: