Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Finishing My N/a Setup

Old 06-26-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Hey all I'm looking for some experienced help here.

I have just ordered the OBX pulleys, not the under drive just the other two. With just swaping them i shouldn't need to order a different belt? I had the assumption I could use the stock type belts? I am planning on setting up new belts anyways anyone recomend a good set, I was going for Gators?

Next I want to finish my ignition with an MSD setup, what should I look into? I just want to improve/maintain combustion, nothing for race or boost really. I do drive my car hard, so I'm thinking this would be a nice thing to add.

Last thing is setting up my cam gear. I'm running the 1.8 setup at the moment and not sure what to do with the exhaust side. Stock I would have advanced it I beleive, does this change with the intake cam?

My current setup is the old I/H/E with the 1.8 ecu/cam, obx cam gear.

After next month, or my lazy arse gets my hands dirty, phelonics, bored tb,port and polished intake manifold will be done.

Thanks again,
Old 06-26-2008, 06:57 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

Since your running N/A, a MSD won't do much for you in terms of performance.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:09 PM

^^I was along the same lines of thought. I'm just hoping for a little better spark. I'm using NGK Iridiums and PRD Wires so I know my spark is decent. Was just wondering if I could top it off and leave it done.

I was thinking of adding a SAFC to the setup aswell, any thoughts?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 tiburon

MSD is such a PITA... my friend has a boosted honda and one day it wouldnt start... we traced it down to the msd coil, and just wired up the stock coil in the distrib and it ran fine.... MSD = eww... not fun lol
Old 06-27-2008, 04:57 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

you really won't see any significant gains with the pulleys unless you get all three. the one you are not buying, the underdrive, weighs the most. there is more than enough research done all these pulleys that will show you the correct size belts you need.

getting a bigger BBTB with a bigger IM opening would be a great next project.

colt cam regrinds & megasquirt from KFX...so much you can actually do N/A wise that you can actually keep if you go F/I.

here is a shopping for your MSD goodies that you might want to have that i got from Mad_John:

1.P/N 8883... you will get the a 2 jacks but you only need one of them. msd does not sell them as EA..
2.P/N 8239 .. this is the coil that will hook up to the one jack you will use the 8883
3.P/N 31199 this is a set for a V8 it has both boot and hei type connecters.. i made 2 sets of wires one for me and one for the sonata
4. and a Dis 2 get it new i got a used one and i have to send it back to msd..
5. 12 foot of coloured 14 gauge or 2.0mm wires, and shrink tubing and a soldering iron... all cuts must be done clean and use a double thing of shrink tubeing as for the dis-2 the best place to mount it is in the passanger side air bag spot.. this means the air bag will have to come out if you want to do that.. i can not stress the fact of CLEAN wireing.. there is a difference..
Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 AM

^^ Thanks for the info on the MSD setup. LOL don't worry about the wiring am a certified installer I do know the difference wink1.gif

The Underdrive pullley was oredered aswell. I didn't plan on doing it but I think I will just to get it done. My tb and intake mani are going to be sent out next week or the week after for boring and porting.

Anyone have any ideas for timing my cam gear with the 1.8 setup?
Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

First of all, I'm assuming you already have a cold air intake, good headers, and a full exhaust, right? If not, start there. A cold air intake or headers should be everyone's first mod, and you'll "feel" the biggest gains from these 2 mods. After this, get a BBTB.

With OBX pulleys, it's a toss up. Some of them come and are direct replacement, some of them require new belts. It's also different depending on your production date of your tib. There's really no way to know until you have them, and you can see what kind of belt you need, and what kind of belt you have. Shouldn't be hard though fing02.gif

MSD would be nice, but won't really do much for you..

As far as cams and the SAFCS goes, you're best money would be spent getting the KFX cams, and the Megasquirt system to tune it. You can get the cams now, but you'll have to wait probably a month or two for the Megasquirt, they're having some issues getting them produced. Now that these items have come out, I wouldn't bother with the 1.8 cam/ECU combo.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Banned

don't bother with the MSD, just get some PRDs and some good plugs, and you will be plenty fine. MSD would pretty much be a waste of money. you may notice a small difference, but for the price, it wouldnt be worth it to me.

get an SAFC and wideband for tuning. easy to mess with, you don't need a laptop and costs about 400$ for the wideband AND the SAFC as opposed to 800$ for the megasquirt and wideband. the SAFC is good enough for an N/A application and much cheaper.

if you plan on pretty much every N/A mod you can think of, go with the megasquirt for tuning, but if you plan on staying with a moderate setup, save yourself 400$ and go the SAFC route.

what are your goals with your N/A setup?

do you want an N/A beast? do you want a streetable, much more fun to drive tib? how much power are you looking for? whats your budget?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Sonata Turbo

you should change you spark plug NGK iridium and all iridium plug and platinum one make a weaker spark yes they last longer but still the spark is weaker .... ou should stick with NGK R v-power or evan Coper one

coper makes the biggest spark .... some poeple had problem with hi boost and hi compresion ratio the iridiums spark plug are s weak then it wasn't evan lighting the Air/fuel mixture