Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Finally made the CAI

Old 04-23-2002, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally made the CAI

I have finally made a custom CAI for my tibby.. It has taken quite a while to do it.. Well, sorry.. it has taken quite a while to get around to doing it.. Work too damn much.. Anyways, it is completed and now on my car.. I have to say I am quite amazed at what it has done for my car so far..
I used to get around 470-500 km per tank of fuel with my car.. I could have put about 50km more on, but why bother running it close.. I just installed this CAI on Friday... I had run about 100km before doing so.. Right now, my odometer reads at 427km and I have just a little under a 1/4 of a tank left.. And I have been driving a little hard on the car just testing this thing..

The sound that comes from it is amazing as well.. I have more pickup, not tons, but it is there.. especially around the 3500 rpm - 4500 range.. wow, what a difference there..

I have to say that I am very pleased with this..
I would recommend this to anyone..
Old 04-24-2002, 02:51 AM

Got pix?

Or if you came out on Sunday nites, then we can see it wink

[ April 24, 2002, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: KayJai ]
Old 04-24-2002, 02:44 PM

To tell you the truth.. it looks not too good.. it doesthe job right now until i but some proper piping to fix it up a little nicer..
This Sunday I should be out.. of course I have told Alex the same thing for the past 2 weeks.. I'll be there though..
Old 04-24-2002, 03:45 PM

Ok, hope to see ya there, actually if you're not doing anything during the day we'll be at Autocross. If you wanna compete, be there at 10am, to register, tech. inspection,... etc. If you wanna come cheer us on, ( I think there will be atleast 3 tibs, and 1 accent competing) be there by noonish.
If not, we'll see ya sunday nite
Oh here are a few pix from our previous two sundays:
http://www.hyundai-owners.com/sunday142002.html
http://www.hyundai-owners.com/sunday212002.html
Old 04-24-2002, 04:38 PM

Unfortunately, I do not think I can make it there during the day.. I have to work a 12 hour shift that day, which is why I haven't been able to keep myself awake enough to come the past 2 Sundays, but I am going to sleep early this Sunday, so i should be out there..
Old 04-25-2002, 03:05 AM

hey is the CAI going to mess up your warranty on the car??? i got mine like 3 weeks ago and i want to get one for mine but i dont know if it will mess up my warranty?
Old 04-25-2002, 05:05 AM

so, what you're saying is that the intake you made increases your miles per gallon?

i thought that they increased HP, and more HP was made by increasing the amount of air and gasoline flow into the cylinders.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:33 AM

If properly designed, it decreases flow losses to the throttle body and provides cooler, denser air into the cylinder.

Since it is now easier to get oxygen into the engine, two things can happen:
-- the engine can respond better when you step on the gas
-- the engine does not need to work as hard to pull air in

The second will increase fuel efficiency. The first will work against it because you're now more likely to put the pedal to the floor to enjoy the little bit of extra pep it now has smile.gif
Old 04-25-2002, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

thor:
so, what you're saying is that the intake you made increases your miles per gallon?

i thought that they increased HP, and more HP was made by increasing the amount of air and gasoline flow into the cylinders.
CAI's do two things. First and formost, they remove intake restriction. This increases the volumetric efficeny of the motor. This means the motor does not have to work as hard to suck in air, which can raise gas mileage through increased efficency.

The second thing is colder air. Colder, more dense air has more oxygen. The colder part also helps keep detonation from occuring, which allows more timing advance, which increases fuel economy and increases power.

When my car was BONE STOCK, and installed a CAI, i saw an increase of about 4 MPG city, and about 6-7 MPG highway.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:39 PM

but ofcoarse you can see your mpg decrease if you develop a heavy foot after installing a CAI or any mod

it happens to some of us where we drive the car harder and harder after every mod done tongue.gif