Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

A Few Questions...

Old 02-17-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. i was thinking of putting a new engine in my car and was wondering how long it should take a mechanic to haul an engine out and put another one in? that brings me to question number 2:

2. if the engine was taken out, would the tranny still have to be dropped to install a new clutch?

3. where exactly is the oil pan located?

4. i have a ticking sound coming from the engine. sometimes it ticks fast, sometimes slow. would this be HLS's or valves?

any help would be much appreciated. thanks. cool.gif
Old 02-17-2007, 05:52 PM

1. normally without any issues 2 days will be enough to drop engine and put new one in
2. if mechanic going to drop engine, clutch is sitting on engine, so he can change your clutch at no cost. Cause when he gonna drop engine he's gonna separate engine and trans, and flywheel pressure disc and plate going to be on engine.
3. oil pan located on the bottom of engine.
4. ticking sound might be your HLA's you actually can clean them with auto trans fluid OR
what i have is this EVAP. canister purge solenoid valve it's ticking (That's what i have)
here's the picture

it's located in the engine bay right side right next to the strut or clutch fluid reservoir you can feel it pulsing with your fingers.
hope it helps
Old 02-18-2007, 06:45 PM

would the oil pan be at a hard place to get at if i needed to tighten the bolts?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:52 PM

it's not really hard place just jack up you front of the car and you can see it right next to your oil filter
well it is a bi*** to take off oil pan there are couple bolts that you gonna get only with small flexible sockets it took me about an hour to take it off and change oil pan gasket smile.gif and also to take it off you have to take trans hanger off smile.gif i think it's 3 bolts
so good luck with that smile.gif
Old 02-20-2007, 03:42 PM

dimonhead- thanks alot for the help man. fing02.gif
Old 03-05-2007, 06:19 PM

so what was your ticking noise???
HLA's or that sensor???
Old 03-08-2007, 03:33 PM

ive checked it a couple of times and its coming somewhere around the intake area. as soon as i start to pin-point the location, the ticking stops. im thinking maybe its the evap canister.
i had the diagnostics done a while back and something came up saying "evap emission control system vent circuit malfunction". i wonder if this is somehow related?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:54 PM

ticking alot of times can be a cracked exhaust manifold. it sounds like a hla tick
Old 03-08-2007, 05:21 PM

Yea diamond head is absolutly right, if he is pullin the motor anyways and charges u to change the clutch, thats rediculuous. Once u have the motor an trans separeted, its literally 5 min to change the clutch, and im not exagerating at all.

The oil pan on my 01 tib is black and right underneath the motor when all my coolant fluid and washer fluid goes in. Taking it off to drill oil lines was kind of a pain, but as long as u have the tools it shulnt be too hard...and again, if hes pullin the motor and trans anyways, it'l be that much easier cuz he wont have to be fumbling around under the car.

As far as the ticking...no idea. I got the same thing and the same ticking noise seems to move around on me, i can never track it down. Someone suggested the injectors may be ticking, but i really do not know.

When we pulled my motor and trans we had it out and back in, in about 14 hours between me and 1 other guy doin it for the first time. Its not too much to do, but there are so many damn clips and plugs to keep track of.

Good luck, you'll learn a thing or two doing it, so have fun too.
-Adam