Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Fal Fans Not Turning On?

Old 03-21-2007, 02:58 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my new Koyo Radiator, and fixed the rest of the issues on the car from the accident last week, and I'm watching the temp gauge after 10 minutes of the car being on, and the fans still never came on?

I checked voltage at the wires, and the positive wire had 12 volts, and then I checked the black wire, and IT HAD 12v?

Why would both my wires from the fal fans have voltage? I rerouted the wires to the second fan, thinking mabe in the accident, the primary fan got damaged, and then the same damn thing here? What's going on, and what do your guys' fan wires do when the car is running? If anyone has a voltage meter, and can probe the pos, and neg, wires BEFORE the connector thats plugged into the fans on the rad, I need a reading of what it should be doing, cause my wife left with her tib hours ago, and I still cant drive, even with the new shiny radiator.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

any pics of the wiring? the driver's fan is the primary fan. it turns on when driving for a long while but never runs without the key in the ignition like most cars do. the passenger fan almost never turns on, it's the a/c fan to cool the a/c in the summer. i think it has to be really hot for it to turn on.

how did you re-rout them? they the driver's one should come on and you should hear it. pics would help.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

hook the fans up to a constant power source, straight to the battery (and disconnect when you get to your location!)

temporary fix at least.

You replaced radiator... have you changed the wiring on the fans at all? Is the plug upside down? (mine was, but plug had a chip taken out of it so it could fit either way).

is there voltage with car off?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:11 PM

My fals are hook to a switch in my silver car but i run they when ever i drive.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Touch the power wire to the negative terminal, and see if they kick on. If they do, then the fan motors are fine. If they don't your wiring and/or fuses are blown.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:58 PM

I hooked the passenger fan to the battery for a temp solution. Its cracked from the accident, but still works fine. My batteries are all dead for the camera (it eats AA) but I snapped a couple shots of the rad before it died:

So whats killing me, is that the drivers fan didn't come on when it was hooked up like stock? It didn't show voltage I dont think. I'll go check again. I have the driver fan hooked up to the wiring for the passenger fan, so I'll have to redo it to the correct side since the pass is hooked up to the A/C and I dont even have any refrigerant right now to use the A/C since that got caught up in the accident.

Any recommendations for wiring this legit if the fans still dont respond when hooked up directly again?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:33 PM

If the fans don't come up when directly hooked up to the battery (with the key "on" obviously) then the fan motor is dead.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:38 PM

my bad, I edited the post above. I meant they didn't work when hooked up directly to the stock location. They turn on fine when direct with the battery. I hooked the drivers side fan back up to its stock wiring, and waited in the car for another 5 minutes with the temp gauge right in the middle, fully warmed up, and no fan came on. I dont know if it WONT come on, or if its just cool enough with the new racing rad, fresh water and coolant, and the new thermostat I put in. I'd think after a while of just sitting that the primary fan would have turned. I left the wiring there for the passenger side fan, incase I'm driving down the street and realize there are no fans on and the engine is hot. I can manually connect the pass. fan anytime now, and I can just pray the drivers side fan actually kicks on sometime soon.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

hmm, you would have to take a photo from above. what kind of FALs are you using? the dual red ones right? don't hook them up to the battery. they should just be a pos and neg wire from them. hook them up to the harness they came from.

as for the fans not turning on, i would say that has to do with engine tem and coolant from your accident. did you use the same radiator or did you have a new one?

if you got the radiator replaced and everything fixed, you should refill your coolant and let it run through. the fans should come on as long as they work.

i'd also look into the fuseboxes.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:28 PM

Yea, chances are you blew a fuse.

I'd wait a bit longer than that though. I put on my fan, and it took like 12 minutes for the fan to kick on once the car got to operating temp sitting there.

Just watch it and make sure nothing comes out the overflow and its not overheating.