Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Fail

Old 11-11-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tib

yep,my own Fail thread sigh.gif

So heres my story ,since I last posted in my rebuild thread... I blew my stage 3 clutch,Bully rebuilt my stage 3 and sent it to me,after trying over and over and over again to engage the throwout bearing properly,I sent it back noting the problem of the bearing ears hitting the strength plate they installed not allowing it to engage fully,They promptly sent me a stage 4 at no charge! ,I installed new Axel seals,and the bearing engaged first click.

So the clutch was being broken in and working great ,and I was not boosting around at all, just casually driving to get in 1000kms or so before I went for more tuning.. My Wife and I took the car to work on a monday because I was going to stop by engine shop(where I had her assembled) after work to complain about the light ticking noise from the lifters (hoping not valves), knowing I may have to replace them as there is no adjusting or shimming that can be done to these, so after looking at the condition of ones I have from a low mileage head V

,new was the way to go.
Here's the fun part, we were coasting down the ramp to the city,when it got louder( my wife had to alert me of the noise as I am almost deaf),and I lost all oil pressure in my guage!!, I coasted to a side street,shut her down,got the wife to work,got the tib towed home.
So now for the moment of truth....I take the oil pan off and...

WTF ? 2 main bolts lying in my pan,and three backing themselves out!! needless to say,at 1500kms and $$$ later,how ,why???

so,with no hoist(I had to jenga my engine out with blocks of wood lol),and no truck,off to the shop I go

bought instead of borrowed a hoist.

So I Drop it off,come back later to this bigeyes.gif

Wha the ?? The oil pump outer gear broke is in every possible area,and the inner gear is in half, one of the flat grooves and half of the other on the inner gear is gone/worn as wel!?..So the excuse given to me at the shop as to why the mains were in my pan ,was,that because the inner gear was spinning on the shaft,only connecting as it spun onto the 1/2 of a flat side occasionally,acting like an impact gun loosening the bolts?? Which I find hard to believe..... mad.gif
So I never expected an oil pump to go?,it was all warrantied, I guess I should have replaced it the first time,or was it all installer error ?,I can't say.. No other damage,new bearings,oil pump,crank and everything else checked,balanced and redone .,I bought new Lifters(not sure the proper name of them,HL something),instead of using the old ones I had..

So , I'm ready to do it all again ..I gotta look at it like this,it is just a car, so.. just fix it and keep movin on fing02.gif

I have a few new things to get before I drop her in., Wish me luck...I need it bad ! laugh.gif
Old 11-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Wow that is messed up big time. Good thing you didnt wreck anything expensive. Thats why mine wont go anywhere. It will take me a little longer but I know its done 100% right. Good luck man. Hope to see some big numbers from you coming up.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:56 PM

Vehicle: 2000

That was a close call man. Very lucky nothing worse happened.

Good luck with the motor install!!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:59 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Let me ask you... What's more likely? The oil pump went out and acted like an impact on the bolts, or the bolts were loose and actually caused the crank to impact the oil pump, suddenly changing directions because of 0 pressure at certain times, then rapidly accelerating back to speed. I've never heard of a oil pump shattering like that. That's some bunk stuff and I'd get my money back from whoever tightened those bolts.

They're Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.

I'm very sorry to hear that you found a little black kid in your engine. I'm also very sorry to hear about the rest of it. You're going to rebuild it again and it's going to stay one of the baddest Tibs out there.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Regit @ Nov 11 2008, 06:45 PM)
So , I'm ready to do it all again ..I gotta look at it like this,it is just a car, so.. just fix it and keep movin on fing02.gif

I like the way you think. Its inspiring. fing02.gif

Good luck with getting it all back together. Just keep focused on how great it will be when its all back on track.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 PM

"They're Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.

I'm very sorry to hear that you found a little black kid in your engine. I'm also very sorry to hear about the rest of it. You're going to rebuild it again and it's going to stay one of the baddest Tibs out there. "

^^ That's the name I was lookin for,Hydraulic Lash Adjusters fing02.gif ^The expression on that kids face is pretty damn near the one I had when I pulled my pan off! lmao.gif
Old 11-11-2008, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Who assembled your bottom end?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 PM

^Halifax Engine Rebuilders.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

That makes it THEIR fail thread then. Time for a refund or a BIG discount on the rework!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^surely they had more than a 1.5k warranty???