Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

F-2 Evolution Lumpier Cams

Old 09-28-2001, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-2 Evolution Lumpier Cams

Random, since your the man, What do you think about these Cams in my 2000 Tiburon. As you know, they are in the F2 Evolution Coupe in the U.K. All I need is a part number for those Cams. Can you Help.....Thanks.. smile.gif
Old 09-28-2001, 06:52 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road

Actually, I believe the "F2" cams are merely the 1.8L Beta cams.
Old 09-28-2001, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The F2 evo has different cams and ECU than the standard Tiburon.

It has never been determined if the F2 Evo Cams are as the 1.8L. I do not believe that they are. BECAUSE...

#1. The 1.8L Exhaust cam is the same as the 2.0L. No HP gains there.
#2. The 1.8L intake cam is only .4mm more lift and only 2 degrees more duration than the standard 2.0L cam. Good for maybe 5 Hp...but not the 14 HP difference between the F2 Evo and the standard 2.0L.

ECU trickery might help get more HP out of the F2 Evo, but not 10 HP more, even with the different cam.

Hyundai is VERY TIGHT with the F2 Evolution parts. To order F2 Evo parts in the UK you must have the VIN from and F2 Evo. F2 Evo parts cannot be ordered in the USA. A USA dealer would have to get the parts from a UK dealer.

Zorro just changed out her cams for the F2 evo units. It took her close to a year of wheedling, whining and asking to get them to order them for her. They did NOT give HER the part numbers. They just installed the cams. That's it.

As the F2 Evolution was a "limited" production run of only 500 cars, I seriously doubt that Hyundai has scads of these camshafts lying around waiting for us to buy them. My guess is that there are probably 100 sets total available for replacement/purchase. (in addition to the 500 sets installed in the car). it just would not make sense for Hyundai to make only 500 cars then continue to make butloads of these special cams that only 500 cars can order....

I keep trying to get Shark Racing to Carry the Korean Tiburon's 'Type-R' cams. The 'Type-R' in Korea puts out 154 HP, so I'm guessing that those 'Type R' cams must have the same cams as the F2 Evo....and be MUCH EASIER to lay our grubby little mitts on!

Please create a post in the "Product Request" forum, asking for the 'Type-R' cams, and lets see how many people we can get on this bandwagon.
Old 09-28-2001, 09:29 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road

But hasn't it also been "hypothesized" that the F2 Evo uses the 1.8L Header as well, which is known to give a bit more HP. So you add that with the 1.8L Cam and a "better" mapped ECU and you could easily make up the 14 crank hp.
Old 09-28-2001, 10:45 AM

Random, since I fly for United Airlines, I see a trip to Korea is in order...
Old 09-28-2001, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by 4doorGL:
But hasn't it also been "hypothesized" that the F2 Evo uses the 1.8L Header as well, which is known to give a bit more HP. So you add that with the 1.8L Cam and a "better" mapped ECU and you could easily make up the 14 crank hp.

Even with the 1.8L exhaust manifold/semi-header, that single intake cam with ECU tricker is not going to gain you 14 HP to the wheels and be emissions legal in the UK.

The Hyundai books also state different part numbers for the 1.8L, 2.0L and F2 Evo, so that leads me to belive that they are different. the 1.8L and 2.0L share a part number for the Exhaust cam, but the F2 Evo Exhaust cam has it's own part number. (a call to a UK dealership's parts deparment netted me this answer...but the limey bastard would not give me the part #'s!!! ARRGGH!! *eh...he was just doing his job*)