Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

EXHAUST WARRANTY

Old 05-05-2001, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUST WARRANTY

My car isn't very old {2001} and I wanted to put a after market exhaust system on it and maybe get a bigger muffler and I know SR is going to be having a Cat Back exhaust system out soon and If I put it on would that void my Hyundai Warranty?
Old 05-05-2001, 05:17 PM

Most likely yeah, when you mess something up in your engine and you have some after market parts hooked up to it, the dealership find some bull-sh;t story that blames the fault on the after market parts. They pulled the same thing with my headlights, saying it was my Panasonic CD player that caused my bulbs to blow. So if you are attached with your warrenty I wouldn't mess with some of the power parts for a while, your cars farely new, let the parts wear for a while and get some free replacements from the dealership and let them fix it up with the warrenty and after that start putting power mods up the azs, that's what I'm on planning doing.
Old 05-05-2001, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

go to www.sema.org Read the section on laws.

Any aftermarket part cannot void a manufacturers warranty untill the manufacture can PROVE your aftermarket part caused the problem.

A cat back exhaust system would only void your exhaust warranty. Simply because you no longer have the stock exhaust.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:03 PM

Hell yeah Random, that is what I needed, the does and don't that come along the warranty statements. Now, I have a reference to check upon to see if the dealership is trying to bull-sh;t me when it comes to replacing my parts under my warranty. Just like that incident with my head lamps, now can you explain what you meant by "my exhaust warranty becomes void because the stock isn't there." What do you mean, explain it in more detail, because I'm about to upgrade my muffler to have that deep throttle sound when I hit around 3,000 rpm.

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: KoreanShark ]
Old 05-07-2001, 02:25 PM

....makes sense to me, man....

Your exhaust system won't be under Hyundai warranty because it's no longer a Hyundai exhaust system. They won't cover something that's not "theirs" because if it goes bad, then it's not really their problem (instead, the aftermarket system would be covered by the warranty of the aftermarket company).

The other parts of your car will still be covered, provided that if something went wrong, it was unrelated to the mods you make. A problem in the electrical system can't be easily pinned on an aftermarket cat-back. But, if you put in a CAI that you developed on your own, and did a lousy job of making it, and the next time it rained water got into your engine and you hydrolocked, that's not something that Hyundai will fix under warranty.
Old 05-08-2001, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you are just replacing from the cat back, hyundai still has to warranty the Cat, exhaust manafold and 02 sensors, BUT...they could claim that your aftermarket cat back exhaust screwed up your cat, 02 sensors or headers (darn hard, but they could claim that).

Your best bet is to get on a first name basis with your local dealership's service manager. Talk with him/her. See if he is cool with modfications. Some dealerships are really okay with modifications, others tell you that you changed the mudflaps so you voided the warranty on your sunroof. (don't laugh, I've heard it, but it was on T-H-C, so who knows...). If your dealership is a jerk, try to find another one in your area.

[ May 09, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]