Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Exhaust Stings My Ears

Old 08-09-2005, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

OK, today was my day off, so I decided to get Tim's 2.25' Apexi replica exhaust on along with my Kspec/Maintec GT Headers with downpipe.

Big stuff eh? Well, the headers definitely are touching the stock fans so i'm getting some slim fans from hp.com. The red Flex-A-Lite. Anybody know if they're worth it? I reccomend anybody getting these headers to also get slim fans to avoid there being an opening in the downpipe.

No major gains really... I can't really feel a difference from before and after the exhaust. If there's a difference it's small. Thank god I got a supercharger to change that.

The sound. I don't know if it's the headers or the exhaust... but can anyone say, "rice me!". It's horrible. First, it sounds like a tractor... that's O-K... I wish it was more throaty. Then, give it some more gas and BZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZ ZZZ... oh god...

So what do I do to get this to stop? Glasspack? Will that get rid of the buzzing and will my 1.8L cams help it sound mean? Right now, I'm really embarassed to drive.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:21 PM

ya a glasspack would be your best bet. i have 1.8 cam and header and exhaust and it buzzes, but i can live with it for now.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you keep saying you got a supercharger. what the hell one are you talking about?

the fans wont make an opening in the downpipe, they will just melt.

glasspack will help, but it wont solve everything.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:34 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I've got a true Apex'i N1 exhaust with SSAutochrome POS 4-1 headers, with magnecor cat and have no buzz.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:39 PM

Do you have a cat somewhere in there? Having a high flow cat installed got rid of my buzzing. I have cheapo SSA headers + real Apexi catback.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:59 PM

It's all about Tim's great exhaust.... Thin walls and shitty ass muffler/coffee can!

Swap Tim's POS exhaust for my SSA with your sister's car and you will see the difference. And wtf you mean no gains? There is gotta be something?

How much did you end up paying to put it on?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:04 PM

I've got a Catco High Flow Round Cat installed there. There's even buzzing with the silencer on guys!

I think it's the GT Headers... what else could it be?

I mean, if it's not the headers than it would definitely be the mild steel piping. But what the hell lol... I mean it's piping. Tube is tube...

Do your Apexis have resonators on them? There's a part of my headers that hit the fans and it's impossible to get the headers and downpipe to bolt on so they left the conection partially open. Could that be the cause? The buzz is really bad... LOL.

tibby01, it's the Apline Supercharger Kit you see from Importshark store for Beta 1, got ot from techontib, worth $3,000.

OP I paid 300 for the headers, DP, new gaskets, welding. I lost a LOT of money man... a lot. I made a big mistake.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

if a part of your exhaust system is visually open, that is a HUGE leak and would be a BIG source of the buzz problem.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:09 PM

^
what he said! You can't have leaks man!

Also, the thin mild steel and coffee can are killing it!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:22 PM

thanks guys, huuuuge help. I mean... I would even take the car out right now just to enjoy no traffic... but it sounds like a dozen pellet guns. Too afraid to ruin people's pleasant evenings tonight.

Funny thing, I did make some pedestrians jump and shriek from the noise. LOL. They must have thought I was some crazy dumbf**k.

What do you think about the fans from hyundaiperformance.com? I'm going to end up spending 1k on this damn exhaust... Who would have known I should have just got a Motoria... but they ran out and sent me a refund... Well... I'm going to try and get rid of that big opening in the downpipe... although the buzz is so instinctive that it sounds too loud to come from an opening all the way from up front.

I will have sound clips tomorrow. Maybe you guys can see. I mean... it's probably that piping and I would like to get a glasspack if that's the case.

The lack of gains, maybe I need to reset my ECU? Maybe it's the Exhaust that's restricting some air through all those bends, maybe it's because I don't have any O2 Sensors attatched yet? Maybe my riddance of the evaporation canister... Anything?