Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Exhaust Manifold Bolt Problem

Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent
Default Exhaust Manifold Bolt Problem

I had posted last week about a problem with my cars timing after my buddy replaced the head gasket, water pump among other things. I just realized today that my exhaust manifold is missing a bold. Guess it snapped off when he was removing it (didn't say anything). It is not throwing a code, although it sounds a little louder now. Got to check if it is leaking when my wife gets home. It is the one and the far top left. Is this a big problem? Is it easy to replace? Looks like it comes from inside the head out before the nut screws on. Not leaking oil from it. It that a possibility? Guess thats what you get for trying to save money. Also my valve cover keeps leaking. Was leaking before it was taken off. Brand new gasket was bought. Even put gasket sealer under it before bolting it down. Brand new cover $275.00 from dealer is the only place I could find it. Hear they can warp over the years, being plastic or so. What are the torquing specs for the bolts.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 02 Accent GL, 86 BMW 325es

I had the same thing with my Accent when installing the turbo manifold, they use push in bolts, so we had to tap and install a slightly bigger bolt, no big deal, just uses a bigger nut.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:30 PM

If you tap can you do it with the head still on the car? And how would you go about doing it? With putting a new bolt in. Could it be fine that way and would or could it leak oil?
Old 03-27-2011, 03:31 PM

Sorry posted it twice. The computer froze.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Wont leak oil, and yes you can just pull the old part of the stud, then you can just tap it and use a stud to put in its place, and can tap it with the head on, no big deal there. Also drive the car, get it nice and warm, then retorque your valve cover, that will help seat the gasket!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 PM

It is too short to pull as I can't see any of it. Or maybe my buddy pulled it out. However forgive me for being stupid but what kind of bolt do I use and how would it stay in place if I put it in from the outside.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:58 PM

What are the torquing specs for the valve cover bolts?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

10lbs, i just snugged mine down after installing it, never torqued them, but it doesnt leak...

Also the bolt will stay in the head, because you just used the HEAD itself as a nut by tapping it, to install just double nut the stud install, then remove the nuts. Not to hard, just got to find the size stud and then the according tap!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 PM

If the stud has already been removed. Could I just screw in another stud. The studs don't have any head on it, just threads all the way down? Where can you find them?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Yes, just install another stud. You can probably have the dealership order one for pretty cheap.

1.6l DOHC valve cover bolt torque spec is 6-7 ft/lb. I also don't use a torque wrench on these, just estimate.

The only spots you're supposed to use silicone sealant is at the bottoms of the cam humps and over the half moon plug things. Even there just small amounts.

I broke my valve cover, you might check for that. Mine snapped some plastic off of the inner part of the channel that holds the gasket right by the intake cam on the chain side. It was leaking pretty significantly. Unless it's physically broken I suspect you're having issues because of the silicone.