Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Exhaust Finished...and Stereo Stolen

Old 11-24-2001, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Finished...and Stereo Stolen

Well I got my cat-back exhaust done yesterday. My poor Tib also got broken into last night and had my box, amp, sub, and camera stolen. Fu#!ing Thieves. I have car/renters insurance that will cover the lost electronics, but I have to fork out $300 for that retarded quarter window to get replaced. Does that seem a bit high to ya'll? I spent the morning talking to cops and insurance people, and vacuuming glass out of my car.
Anyways...back to my Exhaust. I bought a muffler off of E-bay for $85 and had the cat-back done for $160, so $245 for a cat-back exhaust...not bad. Here's the stats:

Muffler
23" long
8" round
2.5" inlet and outlet
4.5" single layer, slant-cut tip
straight through design
mirror finish and almost seamless
this thing is freaking huge!
it's an "imitation muffler" that I bought form Stream Line Motoring out of Cali.
it got to me in less than a week and was great quality

Cat-Back
(from the flange after the cat)
2.25" piping
10" long, 2.25" diamter, glass-pack resinator, welded in-line
piping followed the stock piping path

Work Done
They did a great job with everything. It was cheap, fast (1.5 hrs), and did exactly what I asked for. The tip is the exact size of the arch in the rear bumper of my 2nd gen Tib (stock body). It hangs about an inch below and sticks out about an inch from the bumper. They had to angle the muffler up towards the suspension a little bit to have a little better ground clearance and also because the muffler is really long and the piping wouldn't work if they tried to leave it completely flat. The inlet end of the muffler is about an inch above the outlet end. It was really good work.

Impressions
It wasn't as loud as I was expecting, but everyone says it will get louder as the system breaks in. It has a much deeper tone in the lower RPM's and makes for a much smoother powerband both accelerating and deccelerating. It almost gets quiet in the higher RPM's, which is cool because I won't draw a lot of attention street racing. It's not real audible in the car so it won't be competing with my recently stolen stereo. I can defenitley feel a kick above 4 grand and second gear is loving it for some reason. It's starting with a nice smooth tone so when it breaks in and I throw on some headers it should get a lot louder and grumblier (word?).

Overall Impressions
Defenitely worth $245 and it's something that the thieves can't steal. Damn Delinquents. I probably can quicken my 1/4 mile time by a couple tenths and break into the sixteens, which I know sounds slow, but I'm racing at high altitude in Colorado. My best time is a 17.11 so I think I should be able to do it. Plus it's one more stock component replaced by aftermarket parts. I only have a hundered stock parts left to replace!

Ramble Over..feel free to reply to either subject, but this is the Engine forum so please don't turn this into a flame against thieves thread. Besides I'm flaming enough for all of us!

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: Zeek ]
Old 11-26-2001, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Yes, the headers will make you VERY loud, as the headers replace the stock vertical cat right after the stock exhaust manifold.

The muffer will get louder as you break the system in, expect it to gain about 25% in volume, mainly at high RPM, low RPM noise will not change much.

You might have to add in a "glasspack" or resonator to quiet the system down after you add the headers, but it depends on how good your muffler is. It should only cost you about $60 to do this after everything else is done.

The stereo stuff sucks man. Where was your car when the stuff got yanked?
Old 11-27-2001, 12:35 AM

I have a glasspack resinator (about 12" long) that got installed with the catback. I might have to replace it whenever I get around to installing the headers. I like the tone right now and I just want to amplify it a bit.

My car was right outside my apartment complex when it got broken into. I always park in a very visible place under a street light and the Campus Police are always patrolling the area. I can't believe they got away with it. I spent all day yesterday arguing with my insurance company about what's covered...they don't want to give me any freaking money. I pay and pay and pay and when I want some back they're basically telling me to go screw myself.

By the way I voted for your car on the online show-off. Coool ****... and don't pay attention to those remarks that some Hyundai-haters posted. Is there such a thing as racism toward a car brand?
Old 11-27-2001, 01:22 AM

Race-ism. tongue.gif
Old 11-28-2001, 12:57 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Tib - Beta

Originally posted by Random:
Yes, the headers will make you VERY loud

We only use one header not headers.
Old 11-28-2001, 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Tib

C'mon, this is the Engine Forum, not the Grammar Forum..... Sorry to hear about your stereo zeek. I live here in Cali, and I've been looking for a good exhaust joint to get a Cat-Back done. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-28-2001, 01:55 PM

the best and least inexpensive place we have found is warners muffler in oceanside. Techon tib got his SR mufflerput on there
Old 11-28-2001, 02:57 PM

The estimate for your quarter window sounds cheap to me!!! I had mine broken out a month ago and everywhere was trying to charge me closer to the $500 range...all that for a little damn window!!! When I saw it broken I thought no more than $150 at the most. Boy was I wrong. I was told that it was so expensive cause it is a dealership only item!!! Although I did end up getting it for $325. Only cause the place gave me a wrong estimate. They gave me the price for the side window that goes up and down.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:16 PM

Well my exhaust is getting better every day, but my insurance situation is getting worse. The assholes don't want to give me any money now. They told us it would be covered when we bought the plan in the first place, and now they're pulling out some BS about it not being covered!

I have a gettho fake window on the Tib right now that keeps out the snow. I think I might just make my self some Lexan windows so they can't be broken again. wink.gif
I doubt there are any Tibs in junk yards around here so that option is shot.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on a good window material or have any install tips for the window?

Thanks for all the sympathy. I get pissed every time I turn on the stereo or look at my car, but I'm cool for now.

Laterz.