Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Evap Canister Removal?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The strap for my evap canister finaly rusted out and now it is hanging down. I want to remove it but live in PA (emmisions). Is there any way I can remove it and still pass?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 AM

I live in Florida, so no problem here. Penn. is a different matter. I am not sure if DMV inspections actually check for the evap cannister. Anyone else have a comment??
Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: 2000 carbon tiburon

Just make a new strap or relocate it. i relocated mine do to the dual exhaust issue.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

They are supposed to do a visual inspection to insure that all emissions related parts are present and appear to be in working condition.... depends who your mechanic is, mine will give me a sticker as long as I pass the obd2 test and doesn't really care if I cheat to do it, some however do. I would just fix it, its not that hard and it probably won't take much longer than removing it all.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

the answer is NO! the evaporation canister is the key part of emission, if not, the definition of emissions. Emission inspectors have jobs because of that black box. not only will your car not function right with the canister off, it will fail emissions miserably and why would you want to deal with this:

the computer won't be able to recognize the pressure in the gas tank. the check engine will light up and you'll get a P0455 or a P0445 code then you'll run into is the drive test cycle which involve completeng 3 sequential drive cycles for the CEL to turn off. if it detects a vacuum leak within those three drive cycles then you've got a problem. you'll have more of a problem trying to fix this by trying to drive these cycles, wasting gas and time.

my advice, put it all back like it was originally. buy some derustifyer at the auto store. it works like magic. rust looks real bad, but pour some of that stuff and watch it instantly turn into near aluminum! it literally eats up the rust.

if it's rusted beyond repair, then use $3 zip ties from CVS, Wallgreens, you name it. if you're more ambitious, go to a junkyard, all 1998-2001 hyundais have those brackets next to the rear wheel. use a 12mm socket, unbolt and it shouldn't cost more than $1.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Don't listen to HKC, he doesn't do most of his own work and is one of the only people here ever to have a major problem from this. I owned a RD1 that we did the evap removal on, pics are up of it, never had any codes related, and it's passed emissions (plug in OBDII style) that way.

ABQElantra/Role Reversal has owned the same car, never had an issue with it after the removal.

Javageek now owns the same car, has never had an issue after the removal.

just do it right, take your time, and the entire mess can be gotten rid of.

BTW, that car now has what, 140K miles on it or so?
Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 PM

where he lives he still has to have it for emissions. Unless he knows a mechanic that will pass an illegal car her gonna be sol if he just takes it off cause its kinda obvious that its missing.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

why do you need to relocate it again? and do you have visual inspections?why don't you zip tie it until you find another bracket?

just do it right, take your time, and the entire mess can be gotten rid of.

red name that stuff that you've done on your own that i haven't done. you also don't know it because i don't like to show what i've done. your DIY's aren't that hard, and you have a 2 car garage that i don't have. go to a real shop and they'll laugh at us both. so boo hoo, sucka.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^

What?

QUOTE (likeyoumeanit @ Oct 21 2008, 01:16 PM)
where he lives he still has to have it for emissions. Unless he knows a mechanic that will pass an illegal car her gonna be sol if he just takes it off cause its kinda obvious that its missing.

How is it kind of obvious?

I've been to a bunch of inspections, and stations that do them, and have NEVER seen anyone at ANY of them open up your fender well to see if the charcoal box is there.

99.9% of the time the "visual inspection" is opening the hood, checking out your header/exhaust, and that's it. 1 time I saw a guy look under the car to see if there was a cat there, and other than that, THAT IS IT.

Granted, the OP didn't state what year his car is, but I'm assuming he's talking about a REV A Tiburon. if not, and it's a non rev a tiburon, the charcoal cannister is in the BACK, and requires moving stuff to see if I remember correctly.

Ever get an emissions test done and see the guy refer to a manual to see where a specific car has it's charcoal cannister?

No.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM

Yes if its a rev a it isn't apparent, but otherwise, in Pa, mechanics are supposed to inspect the tail pipe for rust and holes the whole way back, so the chances of it being seen aren't entirely bad. Will he get failed if he correctly bypasses and removes it? maybe, maybe not. I gave my advise based on the fact that I undergo the same emissions requirements as he does and not wanting him to have to shell out a lot of money if the mechanic notices. He doesn't have to take and people don't have to go out of their way in an attempt to debase it.