Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

European Rd Vs. Us Rd Ecu

Old 09-19-2006, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I guess this should go here.

Does anyone know if there are any differences between does two ECU's? I know that there are some mapping differences but are there also any differences in the way it connects to the system.

I have bought an ECU that came out of canadian specs RD2 and I just got it. I have noticed that it has three rows of pins and as far as I know european ECU's (RD1 and RD2) have two rows (I still did not take mine ECU out) of pins.

Friend of mine told me that the third row of pins could be there 'cause ECU was taken out of the car with an imobiliser. Any additional info? Thanx
Old 09-19-2006, 02:27 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

Ecu are the same for all three, rd1 semmiens 8-bit , rd2 8,16 bit semmiens and the GK is sem2000
for the us and canda they are maped for the " AIRFLOW" and the the twin 02 sensors
as the europe and and everywhere else. they are "MAP" based and have a single 02 sensor
so the ecu main wireing for the us and canda have more pins for more sensors

if i am not mistaken your tibby is euro specs so to my knowledge you are running the map base ecu so you need a korean ecu
Old 09-20-2006, 01:35 AM

Thank you for your answer. Another small question regarding the ECU. My friend who is helping me fine tune my car said that I would profit of putting an 2.0L ECU into my car which is an 1.6L. Doing bits and thats we have managed to raise its HP from 115 to 135 (thats at the wheels). Will the exchange of the ECU from 1,6L to 2.0L really make any difference since I have noticed that you guys are changing your 2.0L to 1.8L ECU's?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:37 PM

I don't know if you can even use the US/Canada Ecu in a European spec car; I doubt it.
As per you power figures, are you sure it's to the wheels? Because I had a 1.6 Beta before and I find really difficult for it to reach even near 130WHP, that's higher than a std. 2.0 put to the wheels.

What have you changed in your 1.6? Beig it's a long stroke 1.6 it's not likely to rev to high so I am very curious as what you did to your car to claim such high power. Also, as it is peak power, do you have torque figures? It would be even greater if you can post the picture of your dyno run.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:46 AM

I found out concerning ECU in hard way after I bought it. There are ways this can be done but I am selling the ECU and buying the korean spec one.

As for the car it is still an ongoing project it hasn't been on a dyno yet since there aren't many dynos here and I am saving dyno money for the finished project. The stated figures where just an estimate of the power it should get after all of the mods are done as it was given before the work started. I should've mentioned that but did not have much time and it seemed easier to just put it like I did. Sorry for confusion mate.

As for the work done and planned: we have changed complete exhaust with a new one which was engineered for this car specificaly, the head and all of the internals will be polished and the head lowered, also trying to get my hands on airram and will most probably go turbo. Of course things likeTB, Underdrive Pulley, Exhaust cam sprocket, intake cam sprocket, cams and more have changed for the performance parts or will be changed in the next few weeks. After all of this it should get 130 WHP. After all of this is finished I'll do the dyno and post the figures for you my friend. Hoping that it will get to that 130 WHP