Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engines Toasted... I Think...

Old 02-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: car

So I was driving yesterday, turn off my car, get some food, turn it back on and it won't rev above 4k RPMs, misfiring horribly from the way it sounds so I got it home and parked it. I took a look at it today and I can sit there and push on the timing belt. The tensioner is done I think, which means the valves probably hit pistons, which means its probably dead. There's a deafening ticking noise, and I'm just so pissed.... I scanned the OBD and the only abnormal code was p0343. Cam sensor output levels. But the tensioner is done, for sure...

Is there a chance the engines still ok?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:52 PM

ive seen timing belts brake and ive seen them destroy the pistons due to valves boucning off them, and ive seen people get lucky and have nothing like this happen. so there is a chance its okay.
i've had similar problems with the rev, but it may not be the same as yours, one time it was my tps, and another time i just had a bad spark plug wire causing the misfire. i think the ticking it probably a lifter, mine ticks prety loud sometimes, but it tends to calm itself down. ive heard running thicker oil can help to reduce this noise, but i havent put anythnig different in mine. mine tends to come and go.
but if its ticking like crazy..well, now you've got urself a dsm.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:11 PM

It's ticking like crazy. I've never had an issue with any lifter knock at ALL. I'm pretty sure the valves are fubar. The pistons are most likely ok. In fact, I'm sure they're ok. I'll just get a Beta2 head and call it a day. It'll be easier than changing valves, and probably cheaper. I'll see if I can find one at the yards around here, otherwise I'll have to call Faith.

It's def not a misfire either. I know what a misfire is like, I've taken diagnostic classes for auto servicing, this is no electrical problem.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:20 PM

i didn't mean to come off as i though i was callin ur knowledge into question at all, sorry if i came off liek that. i hope u get it fixed, send me a PM when u inspect everything tho, cuz it wuld be helpful in deducing problems i had before i garaged mine. good luck w everything smile.gif
Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ive got a beta 1 head here you can have otherwise for cheap. I can get a beta 2 head also but it has no cams in it.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Bright side is, you'll have a new BBTB nana.gif
Old 02-10-2008, 12:42 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Does your engine run well under 4000 rpm? Try replacing the belt tensioner (should just be an eccentric pulley mount - you loosen the 14mm bolt, spin the pulley until there is enough tension on the belt, then tighten the bolt - the bolt may have just come loose allowing the pulley to spin around and cause a VERY loose timing belt), then check your cam timing by pulling the spark plug out of cyl. 1 (the cylinder closest to the passenger side), putting something down the spark plug hole and spinning the engine by hand via the 17mm bolt on the exhaust cam gear until the piston peaks at TDC. Then look through the hole on your cam gear and you should see a red notch in the cylinder head. If you don't see the notch, remove the timing belt from the gear, spin the gear so you can see the notch through the hole, then install the timing belt after making sure the piston for cyl. 1 hasn't moved from TDC. Now start the car and see how she runs. If the horrible ticking is still there, its time to pull off the valve cover and yank the cams out, then remove the lifters and measure how high the valves are from the seats on the head. If any are lower than the majority of the others, the valves heads are bent, thus not allowing the valves to be pulled back up as high as the ones that are not bent and seating properly. My guess is if you can still start the engine and it drives ok, that you have minimal damage.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:00 PM

I haven't checked the timing yet, I am ordering a new belt and stuff cause it needs to be done anyways. I did a compression test and everything came up good, so the vaLves are all seated I guess. The Hyundai tech I called suggested a leakdown test which I'm going to do as well. The belt should come in the middle of this week so we'll see what happens. If the valves are trashed though I am getting a new head. Cheaper and easier than playing w/ valves if a lot are screwed up, you know?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

What kind of numbers did you get on the first 3 compression strokes? If you got over 200 psi after 3-4 turnovers on each cylinder, there is no way you valves are bent, although a leakdown test would definately confirm.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM

210-190-210-210

We tested the one with 190 first, and We didn't crank as long with that one.

A leakdown test is def in order. I am ordering a new timing tensioner from my work, its like $35 at AutoZone. I'm going to call Hyundai too because I get parts for 1/2 price, but I doubt an OE part will be that cheap. I am going to order a Dayco timing belt from work too. I can get a goodyear too, but f*** it, it's not like a timing belt can be that much different anyways... And as far as it being eccentric pulley, does the tensioner go out often?