Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine swap

Old 02-07-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car is a 2000 coupe, then the engine is a Beta.
I had a Elantra with that engine it looks 100% like the 2.0/1.8 and I know it has the same stroke as the 1.8, but with smaller pistons.
However, if you accept my advice, just throw in the 2.0; you will have much more gains than trying to turbocharge your 1.6; at the most I guess with turbo you could reach 140WHP, with slightly modifications to a 2.0 you could easily reach that with less money AND without having to worry about turbo maintenance.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

1.6 could put out well over 140WHP turbocharged. 8PSI would get it that much... the problem with the 1.6 is the gearing. Its got to be short as hell and it would be majorly hard to shift through that tranny with that much power.

Turbocharging the 1.6 and swapping out for the Beta and going all the basic bolt-ons N/A are going to yield the same results. However, a turbocharger is a hell of a lot less pain in the ***. The 1.6L has got to be lighter though. I would also look into a 2.0L tranny...

EDIT: Dear god, the "A-word" is censored now...?!? Oops... LOL.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Well, actually it's true you could boost a 1.6 into high HP's, but the problem is not only the gearing, but the aftermarket parts. In Korea the 1.6 is practically unknown, it's an export engine only, it only goes to Europe and no one is making engine performance parts for Hyundai, and specially for that 1.6 because you have such other alternatives like the 1.8 and 2.0.
You could have pistons done for the engine to cape with high boost, but it's going to cost $$$ on the other hand, the aftermarket for 1.8/2.0 is now decent.
Lets say you buy a turbokit for the 1.6 and you take it to what 150HP? 170HP? You would have thrown the same money as to put a turbo 2.0; so if he can get a 2.0 FIRST and then put all that money into the turbo project, he will have more engine for a $% not that big; with the 1.6 the more you advance in HP's the more it's going to cost because engine is nearing it's limit.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If you do all the work yourself, and know a thing or two about turbos and can build your own kit... boosting the 1.6 should be no problem. Cost comparison?

Swapping to a decent 2.0 (Engine/Tranny/ECU/Wiring) would be $1000-$1500 if you pulled the motor yourself, put in the new one yourself. And thats if the mounts are the same. If they aren't the same, its another $800-$1000 or so. If you can't do the work yourself, it'll be about $1000+ depending on the shop. 80% of tuners can't swap an engine, and 95% of tuners can't redo mounts and such to make an engine fit. Then all the wiring has to be redone. Your looking at major time there. So probably its going to be $2200 if you do it all yourself (engine swaps are not drop in and go) minimum. Could get as high as $4000. All that for 40HP? C'mon now dude.

The Tib has no aftermarket support whatsoever. You have KSpec and Tim... thats it. Everything else is custom done. If you think thats an aftermarket...
Old 02-07-2005, 04:09 PM

QUOTE (hamhead)
Swapping to a decent 2.0 (Engine/Tranny/ECU/Wiring) would be $1000-$1500 if you pulled the motor yourself, put in the new one yourself. And thats if the mounts are the same. If they aren't the same, its another $800-$1000 or so. If you can't do the work yourself, it'll be about $1000+ depending on the shop. 80% of tuners can't swap an engine, and 95% of tuners can't redo mounts and such to make an engine fit. Then all the wiring has to be redone. Your looking at major time there. So probably its going to be $2200 if you do it all yourself (engine swaps are not drop in and go) minimum. Could get as high as $4000. All that for 40HP? C'mon now dude.

I have owned a car with the 1.6, the 2.0 swap should be NO PROBLEM, that's why I state that, mounts are the same, the main difference is flywheel and clutch system; 1.6 is pull type and 1.8 is push type, but it's almost a take out - throw in business. Plus, wiring harness IS THE SAME, ECU should be the same if not in maps, at least in wiring; and I guess if the 1.8 ECU works just fine or even better in a 2.0, this 1.6 ECU could even work with the 2.0. I know this because for a long time I wanted to do this swap, and then I was lucky to find my 2.0 Tib. This is not like swaping a 2.0 Beta into an accent engine bay, where an Alpha engine was living... I don't know about labor costs in Norway, but it should be less than having a TurboKit installed.
QUOTE (hamhead)
The Tib has no aftermarket support whatsoever. You have KSpec and Tim... thats it. Everything else is custom done. If you think thats an aftermarket...

Exactly... where is this guy going to find ANY pieces IF he decides he wants a little more power then? If it's small for the 2.0, it'sw non-existant for the 1.6, so why take that route? Plus Zellus doesn't seem to be asking the Qs a guy who knows something about cars like you do would ask... I don't think he will be able to install the turbo kit by himself.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:20 PM

QUOTE (hamhead)
1.6 could put out well over 140WHP turbocharged. 8PSI would get it that much... the problem with the 1.6 is the gearing. Its got to be short as hell and it would be majorly hard to shift through that tranny with that much power.

Turbocharging the 1.6 and swapping out for the Beta and going all the basic bolt-ons N/A are going to yield the same results. However, a turbocharger is a hell of a lot less pain in the ***. The 1.6L has got to be lighter though. I would also look into a 2.0L tranny...

EDIT: Dear god, the "A-word" is censored now...?!? Oops... LOL.

thank kit for that one
Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Coupe 2.0fx RD2

thanks for all help and tips ,, the only problem are that there seems to be difficult to get a used 2.0 engine from junk yards here in norway,,since my 1.6 is map based ,,maybe i will try to serach from other countries but witch countries have MAP based engines?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:30 PM

I think the USA is the only country with MAF; Europe, SouthAfrica, SouthAmerica and most important, Korea, have MAP versions. Also, the Elantras have the same engines, so that could help you enlarge your search parameters.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:41 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Coupe 2.0fx RD2

but what´s the engine name i should be looking for? G4GF?