Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine Sludge

Old 07-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default Engine Sludge

What should I get to clean up engine sludge in my engine. I try to change the oil routinely but there has been a couple of times where I went past the scheduled times and I think the engine developed a little bit of sludge inside. So I would like to clean it all out if possible.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Use an engine oil flush. I use one made by Gunk. I put it in right before an oil change, run the engine for a while like it says in the directions, then just change your oil like normal.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I try to stay away from engine "flushes". Those flushes can't be good for the seals and gaskets inside the motor. If I were you I'd change my oil using some cheap dino oil, drive for 100 miles or so then change it again with some good stuff. Kinda rinse the motor out.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Get some Auto-RX, two bottles if you can. It's an enzmye like additive that breaks down the carbon sludge and encapsulates it so the filter stops it.

Woks like they say but takes a while. All you do is add it and drive, change filter halfway through your normal OCI then use some straight oil for a couple thousand, then add another bottle.

http://auto-rx.com/
Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The Gunk flush product will not harm your engine or any seals. If the engine would be leaking but for the sludge build-up, the flush will show you that, but the flush is not the source of a problem. I've run several flushes (about due for one again come to think of it) just as preventative maintenance every couple of years.

If you want to not worry about sludge, use a quality synthetic oil like Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 and change it every 4-6k miles. Also only use OEM or other high quality filters (read: not the cheap FRAM) to prevent top-end oil starvation. A high quality oil will keep your engine clean, even if you go a little long on the oil change interval.