Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine Rebuild

Old 12-03-2004, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FS:GK METALLIC PEDAL COVERS

I gotta rebuild the engine and will have alot of time on my hands. Soooooooo I think its time I learn to do an engine rebuild.
Can anyone have any tips? List of tools I'll need? And some useful info like what steps I need to take?
Old 12-03-2004, 07:56 PM

Default WTB: Tigerlilly Pistons

i've done this more than once..... and man is it fun! you're gonna' love it Dweet.

my two biggest suggestions....

-LABEL EVERYTHING!!!! if you're not meticulous by nature, now is the time to start, trust me. it will make your life a LOT easier. i also suggest laying everything out exactly how it was in. seperate containers for all bolts and what have you.... component specific.

-DON'T EXPECT EVERYTHING TO WORK OR GO AS PLANNED!!! i'm sure you know all about this with your forced induction mods. an engine rebuild is huge business though.

when i do mine (after i blow it or just swap), i'm going to do it RIGHT this time. have it ported, polished, bored, forged pistons, new cams, valves, injectors, EVERYTHING. can't find a better time!

some tools you might want to have around, if you don't already....

-engine stand (of course)
-long telescopic magnet (in case you drop stuff into critical areas)
-halogen lights on stands
-a GOOD torque wrench
-plenty of kitty litter for spills
-wire brush kit for cleaning stuff that you want to re-use

that's all aside from the major stuff, you know. i think it's a good idea to have someone around that's done this to another car too. i wish i lived close. i'd LOVE to help with this one.

good luck Dweet, and TAKE PICS!
Old 12-03-2004, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Why didnt I have her as a teacher?

I like freezer bags for holding small parts and fasteners... Also... a labeler is your best friend. Tape and marker will streak when exposed to grease.. but something like the Brother labeler will hold up to everything, including engine compartment heat.

ALSO... take pictures of EVERYTHING! From many angles too.. not just the parts, but where they were attached, how they were attached, and what was attached to them.