Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine Problem?..

Old 11-12-2005, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well as most of you might know about a week ago I was driving on the highway and my car bogged out and I couldnt accelerate; it turned out to be that the lines to the transmission were loose and popped off and tranny fluid went everywhere. My dad put more tranny fluid in and also cleaned up the engine bay. He told me the car ran crappy but when i came home it drove fine.

Now today I was driving it and the car hesitates to go; meaning it goes but you hear sputtering coming from the exhaust. My "check" light (which has been on because I have a turbo in but the blow off valve isnt recirculated yet and I have to keep the vacuum line to it off) began blinking. Yesterday when it happened it went away but today the car continued to sputter as i was driving it and the light continued to blink. Once I got to 40mph though it went away, but as soon as I stopped to give it gas again the problem began.

I have a turbocharger installed, but its not fuel tuned yet nor is the bov recirculated yet. I dont push the car hard at all and I dont drive it everywhere. Im thinking this problem either might have something to do with what happened with the tranny, or something else.

Any help???
Old 11-12-2005, 03:08 PM

First off, how many miles are on your tranny? If you don't have a cooler on it, I'd strongly suggest you get one!

Are you sure you haven't had this sputtering problem before? Sometimes I have the same problem; it'll lag for a couple of seconds and then go. This is normal with automatics.

Flashing CEL? Isn't that usually something spark plug/wire related?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Never had the sputtering problem before. The tranny is only 4k old..its practically new. About the flashing CEL..I dont know what that can be an indicator of honestly.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

blinkin light means misfiring doesnt it? cant remember

i would get that bov to recirc, get it tuned, replace your plugs then see what happens
Old 11-12-2005, 09:03 PM

If you are not tuned and not running lean.. your car is probably running too rich.. while that is good for the overall health of the car for now.. it means the car is loading up the plugs with fuel and fouling them. Once plugs are fouled, you can never compleatly clean them, best you can do is replace and get the engine tuned as soon as you can.

One of the benefits of owning carbed italian cars, you have a good understanding of fouled plugs.