Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine Misfiring?

Old 02-04-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Misfiring?

For the last few days I have been noticing this but not too sure what it is. from inside the car it sounds like water boiling in the center of my dash. get out of the car and open the hood and its sounds like its coming directly from the engine closer to the firewall. Now my friend has had the same problem but he told me cause he had air in his coolant pipes but we checked my coolants and liquids and they are all good.

The car runs great at 59850 kms idles very close to a 1000rpm and just overall feels like the day I picked it up but this noise is bothering me and dont want to end up being somethign worse.

NOw I havent gone in the last 3 months for an oil change but I know for a fact that the spark plugs have not been changed so is there a chance the spark plugs are causing the engine to misfire causing it to make that sputtering noise that sounds like boiling water.

no modifications have been made to the car in more then a year and here in london ontario canada its been quite cold in the past few weeks but its starting to warm up the last two days and its still making the sound.
I will be making an appointment anyway to get it serviced but wouldnt mind going in knowing whast wrong with my car

Greatly appreciate any help
Old 02-04-2005, 09:12 PM

might be your waterpump...what does your temperture gauge say when you hear the boiling noise?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:18 PM

QUOTE (CyberShark)
might be your waterpump...what does your temperture gauge say when you hear the boiling noise?

its perfect
well i should go into more detail with the boil noise it sounds like water but a bit more like a sputtering engine noise
Old 02-04-2005, 09:29 PM

If it was a misfire you would have a CEL. Trust me lol. Have you checked your flex pipe on your exhaust? That is in that general location and could make the sounds you are describing.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:47 PM

Plugs and Wires
If your plugs and wires haven't been changed yet, and they're OEM get them changed. Plugs if driven "optimally" (ie shifts at 2k) it will last to 60K's and Wires at about 40-45K's
So Plugs and wires will cost like $80Cdn or so, start with that.
If it is, it's a cheap fix
If you don't have any mods, the Beta is pretty solid.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Its probably worse to shift at 2000RPM then at 3000RPM for spark plug longevity. Spark plugs go out very fast if you do lots of low RPM driving and idling...

Either way, your long overdo for plugs and wires. I would start with that. Your engine is not misfiring, otherwise you would be running a CEL.