Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine Idle

Old 04-29-2002, 11:52 PM
BV1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Idle

Ok before you say that my idle problems are from the MAF or CAI, they are not. This is a wierd assed idle problem that only happens when the car is in motion. Its not the fuel purge valve or MAF according the OBDii.

As soon as the car gets moving, and the engine is cool or you have just refueled (either) the RPM on my car revs up to 2000. It will stay there until the car comes to a COMPLETE stop, suing the brakes or a coasting stop. Then it falls backdown to normal. Onyl when its moving does it stay at 2000 RPM. The Hyundai auto tech checked it out with me, stumped him too. One thing to point out is that it doesnt do it if you have not refueled in awhile OR if the engine has been running for 20 mins. Does anyone have any ideas? Anything would be appreciated.

-Steve
Old 04-29-2002, 11:58 PM

What exactly did the OBDII spit out?
I would also check your TPS sensor, it might be going bad... Not sure though but it wouldn't hurt to check it out.
Could maybe be a problem with your fuel system too. Hell, there are ALOT of things it could be. All I can say is, I hope your car is still under warranty, and good luck.

[ April 30, 2002, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: 2kElantra_NyteMare ]
Old 04-30-2002, 03:09 AM

might not help, but here's a post from a mazda site today about fluctuating idle after refilling the tank. might have some ideas in it:

www.protegeclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5792

good luck.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

This is a common problem with newer Tiburons and Elantras. I have always assumed it to be that the engine was keeping the RPMS up to make shifting into the next gear easier. It would be a bad thing to shift an 800 RPM engine into gear while you are rolling and force the engine to go from 800rpm to 5000 rpm. To elimiate some of that stress, Hyundai built in this ability to keep the engine rev'd to 2000 RPM while the car is rolling.

This is the reason your car will stutter and die if you disable the VSS. With no VSS signal, the ECU thinks you are stopped, and so tries to make the car go from 5000 RPM to idle as fast as possible, it basically kills the engine.

As far as I know this behavior is 100% normal.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

GO to the dealer and have the idle assy. checked out or have them run a full diagnostic of yor computer. Also tyr a reset of the ECU. I don't know about the American cars, but that sort of things does not happen in the Far East...
Old 04-30-2002, 04:22 PM

Random:
This is a common problem with newer Tiburons and Elantras. I have always assumed it to be that the engine was keeping the RPMS up to make shifting into the next gear easier. It would be a bad thing to shift an 800 RPM engine into gear while you are rolling and force the engine to go from 800rpm to 5000 rpm. To elimiate some of that stress, Hyundai built in this ability to keep the engine rev'd to 2000 RPM while the car is rolling.

This is the reason your car will stutter and die if you disable the VSS. With no VSS signal, the ECU thinks you are stopped, and so tries to make the car go from 5000 RPM to idle as fast as possible, it basically kills the engine.

As far as I know this behavior is 100% normal.
I totally agree smile.gif Makes sense too me.

[ April 30, 2002, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: J@WS 01 ]
Old 04-30-2002, 04:51 PM

Just wondering. Have you checked the Idle Speed Actuator? Or the TPS?

[ April 30, 2002, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Dthomas ]
Old 04-30-2002, 08:25 PM

Just got my 2001 tibby back a few weeks ago from hyundai. I brought it in with the same problem. hyundai had to change my TPS and my ECU, they claimed the ECU was getting a lower than normal signal from the TPS. So to be sure they got the problem they replaced both. I have had the car back for about 3 weeks now and the problem has not re-appeared. hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:52 AM
BV1

I think its something with the TPS and ECU too.

I know its not normal, it didnt used to do it, and its getting worse. Now it revs up to 2500 RPM when I am rolling, and soon as I come to a stop its drops down to 800. I made an appointment for Thursday. I will let you know the diagnosis then. The mechanic said he had to call Hyundai Hi tech, when I told him the problem. He took a quick look at it yesterday, and it actually acted up, and revved high when he had the OBDii scan tool hooked up unlike when JAWS 01 looked at it. Even when idle status is ON and the purge valve is closed, its still racing. I could be on a downhill or just rolling, but a soon as I roll to a stop it the revving stops (whether by braking or coasting). The other thing thats wierd about it, is it does it really badly after I refuel, and it wont do it after the car is really warmed up (20 mins of driving). Ughhh. Time will tell...

-Steve