Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine Cooling Issues

Old 03-27-2006, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My engine is overheating and it has a new thermo stat in it... The Radiator is cool and in fact there is no pressure on the cap when my car is apparently overheating.. the upper radiator hose is warm, im guessing due to the engine heat but elbow that connects the water pipe along the front of the engine to the thermostat housing is real hot and my lower radiator hose is hot as well... Im not leaking any fluid.. Im wondering if this is anything besides the obvious which is the water pump.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:13 PM

dweet wtf are you doing here man... you are just about as regular as a solar eclipse anymore...

have you checked your thermostat... it could possibly be bad. thats the only other thing i can think of
Old 03-27-2006, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you mean you can take off the radiator cap while the car is running?

I think that would have to be the water pump. it's not pressurized at all.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:39 PM

Nice to see you around, Dweet!

as for your problem.. could be five things:

1: You are low on fluid
2: you have a large bubble of air somewhere in the system and it is keeping the cooling from flowing properly
3: new thermostat is defective
4: Bad waterpump.
5: bad headgasket..

I listed them from cheapest to most expensive. Let us know what the problem is!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'd lean towards the large air bubble. Open your radiator cap when it's cool and let the car warm up. Rock it from side to side some and burp it good. Add coolant, repeat. Do it somewhere you can easily clean up.

Keep doing it till nothing else burps up.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

lol remember redz when my car had that bubble lmao.gif i thought i was gonna hve to pull the water pump off again

yeah dweet start with the cheapest and work up
Old 03-27-2006, 07:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

OH! To help with the burping, I just remembered.

When you think there's nothing left to burp out, or to help you burp it, squeeze the upper radiator hose when the engine is running some. Not hard, but gradually. You'll hear it push fluid through the system and air should burp up. Of course, check to see if you canhandle the heat first, if not, use some thick gloves.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

if the engine is supposedly overheating, and the hose and radiator cap isn't HOT... then I'm guessing the engine may not be overheating at all. Check the temp sensors... I think there may be 2 different temp sensors that could be related: the one in the engine that reads the temp and maybe one in the cluster that shows the temp on the gauges
Old 03-27-2006, 10:54 PM

buddy, take it straight to a mechanic!

Everyone here is guessing and giving you half a dozen suggestions,
what the problem is, get it diagnosed by a professional.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

/\/\
why take it to a mechanic if all he needs to do is bleed the air out or low on fluid or something simple? Some of you guys run to the mechanic too fast, thats how you get screwed over. Most of this stuff hes been told to check/do is simple enough to diagnose/ fix and could potentially be the problem. If all else fails and the engine is still overheating for an unknown reason then take it to a mechanic, but it shouldnt be your first reaction. When i have a headache, i dont run to the hospital.

You said your fluid isnt leaking, but hows the consumption? it doesnt have to leak to the ground to go away, it could end up in your oil pan or out your exhaust, both indicitive of head gasket problems. Check the color and consistancy of oil, even if your sure your not losing alot of coolant.

Did you check the waterpump? does the waterpump move the coolant?

Whens the last time you flushed your radiator?

Was your last thermostat replaced because it was bad or just to prevent it from going bad (as in it was still working) if it was stil working then try to put it back in? if you replaced the thermostat because it was bad was it stuck open or closed? (stuck closed = engine overheating or stuck open = barely warming up at all)

Check what weve said and we'll go from there, my hunch? waterpump.