Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Electrical Problem?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well today has been kinda crappy. I've been looking into turbo'ing the tib for awhile now. Just for kicks, I put in an air/fuel gauge last night, and its reading completely sporadic. Up and down. At first I thought there was something wrong with the gauge, but then I started thinking. While it reads slightly sporadic normally, it'll go all over the place whenever I use anything electrical on the dash. I've always had some minor annoyances with the electrical system inside the car. Whenever I use anything, including the rear defrogger, the heater, or using the brakes, thereby illuminating the tails, the entire dash dims. So I figured that maybe, since the gauge is wired up to the fusebox, that I need to either ground the inside fusebox, or re-ground the entire car's electrical system...any ideas? Wheres a good place to ground?

Oh and I've had the alternator tested today actually, and it ran brand new, so I'm sure its not that. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Did you put in a wideband O2 sensor and A/F gauge or an A/F gauge that you wired to your stock O2 sensor? If you are not using a wideband up and down sporadic lights is normal operations for your A/F gauge.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:33 PM

ah I was wondering about that. For now its just wired into the narrow band until I got the money to sink into a wideband. But I should've thought of that. But I still don't exactly know what to do about the dimming of the gauges. Its like the current isn't stable. Should it be re-grounded? Thanks for your advice on the wideband, forgot about that... laugh.gif
Is it possible to wire this A/F gauge into the wideband later?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I don't think you can use that gauge with a wideband. Chances are you need to fix a ground somewhere.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:40 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Java's right. The stock o2 sensor only reads lean or rich after it heats up.

... but it sounds like the gauge was designed for a wide band o2 sensor.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM

^^^Well I won't know for awhile. From what I've seen, Wideband sensors cost around $300, although I could certainly be lying. Where'd you guys get urs from?