Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

ECU remap?

Old 08-24-2001, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU remap?

Tibby ECU for sale!

If someone bought this could if be sent off to be remapped or no?
Old 08-24-2001, 03:16 AM
Red

You *could*, the question at hand should be "is it worth it?"

The answer is no. If you want an upgraded ECU, either pick up the UniChip like Random has on his turbo Tibby, or throw away the entire stock computer system and replace it with a Haltech.

I have an upgraded computer, and it's essentially finicky, picky, bitchy and worthless. I picked up more power with an S-AFC, and the AFC cost less.

-Red-
Old 08-24-2001, 05:33 AM

How much did you pay for the S-AFC? how much is the unichip- more or less then the AFC?
Old 08-24-2001, 05:56 AM
Red

The UniChip is considerably more than the S-AFC, but it also has considerably more functionality. You will have to do a search (it's been talked about numerous times in this forum) as to the cost.

An S-AFC is simplistic digital fuel controller. Actually, it's technically an "air flow converter", which fools your computer into thinking more (or less) air is coming into the car. When the computer is told that less air is coming in, less fuel gets sent -- and vice versa.

My S-AFC was around $380, but that was quite a while ago, and I also bought it from UPRD who is now out of business sad.gif You can buy them much cheaper now, go look on the internet for some good deals.

The S-AFC was able to extract another 8 wheel horsepower on the dyno when tuned correctly. I dynoed 132HP with an MHP intake, HVE throttle body, HVE 4-1 header, and full exhaust. After tuning the S-AFC correctly (about six runs on the dyno), that number rose to ~140HP.

I would love to dyno the car again now that I have the intake cam, intake manifold, P/P cylinder head, and a better intake... And clean injectors. I had two injectors that were dripping while this testing was going on -- we didn't find out until I sent them to RC Engineering to be cleaned and flowbalanced.

-Red-

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: Red ]
Old 08-24-2001, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Unichip is $1000 installed and tuned.

A HalTec is about $1300 plus another $250 to install it (or do it yourself) and about $100 to $300 to tune it depending on your modifications.

The S-AFC is between $250 and $325, and is about $75 to $200 to tune.

In order of "complexity"
S-AFC
UniChip
HalTec

How much of a gain you see depends on your level of modifications. The S-AFC is meant to be used for mild mods, but some WILD cars do use it.

The Uni-chip is ment to be used on "mild to wild" modificaitons, but they also claim a "stock" performance gain (no modifications)

The HalTec unit would probably show a HP gain on a stock motor, but to be honest, it would be a waste on anything less that a modified/boosted/nitrous motor.

I think Batlord managed to get another 5 HP out of his setup, which was "headers, CAI, Full exhaust".

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 08-27-2001, 12:41 AM

Thanks guys, I'll probably wait then until my catback and intake are in and installed.