Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ecu Question

Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i have a 97 tib 1.8 and i was looking into getting an ecu for my car, and i have been doing a lot of searching on what is out there. so far i have read that the rev a is the way to go with a 1.8 cam, and then i have read that a rev b is better. another part i read is that the 1.8's come stock with a rev-a. Also are those the only ecu's out for our car besides those b.s. turbo adder chips or super chips. if anybody can give me a good clear answer on this it would mean alot, Thanks Fresh
Old 10-15-2007, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I think you are confused.

YOU have a rev a tib right now if your profile is correct. Rev a came on only 97's.

And I don't understand what your looking for? You can't get the 1.8 cam bc you already have it, you can't get the rev a ECU bc you already have it and theres no difference in ECU's.

If your car is stock, your long ways away from thinking about ecu's piggybacks and standalones.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM

no i was saying that i have a 1.8 and that the rev-a is what you want to have a good match, but people were saying that some of the 97 tibs come with it and some of them dont. which did not make much sense to me, but then i figured that it might just be the fx models, but thanks for clearing that up
Old 10-15-2007, 03:43 PM

That's a confusing post all together!

Yes, you have a rev-a tiburon, and it has a 1.8 cam and ecu. You have a 1.8L engine, which is why you have a 1.8L cam/ecu. If you look in the faq section (look for post #6) on this site, you can find out exactly what rev-a is, and that the only obstacle a rev-a poses is the difficulty of installing a CAI.

If you're looking for more performance, just get a 2.0 crankshaft and rods. That alone will increase displacement to 2.0 and give you significantly higher compression.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:37 PM

yea i read it over and it is confusing way i posted it. but that crank and rod part i didnt know. thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 07:11 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

WTF is a Rev a? i know here for the RD1 they had the Special and all it had was a alum body and block..
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

That was a Type R bro. The Rev A stand for Revision A, which means it was Hyundais very first tiburon with all the bugs that come with being the first. It had stupid stuff like captive rotors, and the charcoal canister was under the left front fender (drivers side) right where an AEM intake filter wants to sit.

Rev A just means you had a 97 tib. I've still not heard of a 97 tib that WASN'T a Rev. A. Plus all of this talk of Rev A doesn't mean anything about performance besides your car cant have an AEM intake, so what you do is get a short ram, or an intake you can mount with the filter somewhere other than under the drivers fender.

If you have a 97 Tib, than you need to go out and buy yourself some headers and a catback, and a short ram intake. Then get yourself a body kit, and you've made your car as nice as you should make it. You can spend 1000's of dollars changing it to be like other tiburons after 97-98 but it wont be worth the cash since these days you could just buy an older tiburon with the specs you want for cheaper than the mods cost to upgrade a 97. I went the hard road and upgraded the 97, so I'm pretty well versed in this part of it now.

Dont worry about ECUs or Rev As, and there's no Revision B. Its either a Rev. A or not. You can get some cool parts like pulleys and other little engine stuff, but DONT go out and buy a AEM intake for this car, as it wont bolt right up.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:23 AM

Vehicle: car

^^ The AEM won't bolt up right as of now because of the charcoal canister, but there is quite a few DIY's to either remove it or just move it out of the way for like $15. From HKC's experience, I would say don't do it, but everyone else has had no problems.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:34 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

Does anyone has links to DIY to remove it or make space for a cai to fit a 1997 coupe?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:51 PM

Read, my friend, read!

You're answer is in my last post.