Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Drop in filter vs. Cone air filter

Old 05-06-2001, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop in filter vs. Cone air filter

I just ordered my K&N filter from a local shop, then I discover to my revulsion that there is a cone air filter "conversion" available. Now I was told that a K&N drop in filter could give you about 5 HP on a 140 HP car. Is this with the Cone-air filter?
Should I stop the order and get the cone?
Is it hard to install (for me...not a 15 year mechanic veteran)?
Is it worth it?
Will I get any performance increase with just the drop-in?
Old 05-06-2001, 05:48 AM

Personaly me I just put a cone style k&n its hello loud sounds nice disadnatage have to relocate heat sensor, drop in you don't have to relocate. I'm pretty inpressed on how much power it gave me. You definatly reach through the rpms alot quiker.(spelling sucks). the k&n cone number is ru 2940 i think. Its not hard to install a kid could install it.
Old 05-06-2001, 09:31 AM

Well, I'm 26 but pretend I am a kid. Last time I asked someone he was talking about cuttin' holes and ripping out stuff. Yeesh!
Wouldn't this invalidate the warranty?
Old 05-06-2001, 10:56 AM

I keep all the origanal equipment if you cut out a hole in one of the tubes so you can fit the heat sensor i suggest you go to the junk yard find the same part. So if something goes bad you can replace the old intake then call the dealer. The dealership has to prove that what mod you put on is what caused the problem. It should only take ten minutes to install not that hard. I am not a kid either i am 25 26 this summer.
For right now i put the sensor inside the filter just for now until i get other cone which has carbon fiber case. Hopefully i can make hole in that one.
Old 05-06-2001, 12:01 PM

The biggest problem with Tiburon engines is the air intake restriction. I do not know about warranty etc. The drop in is OK but if you what to invest in performance I would go to a CAI intake (mandrel tube and cone filter). Drop ins will help but if you are investing get the good intake once it for all. I suggest you wrap the intake with Thermo Tec wrappers to insulate intake from heat. Avoid heat in your intake get fresh air from the outside as much as posible the cooler the more power.
Old 05-06-2001, 12:18 PM

everyone is always talking about CAI. who makes one for the elantra?? i want cold air but im thinking of maybe getting some custom made ram air or cold air because i cant find one anywhere for my elantra.
Old 05-07-2001, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Slipstream
It depends on your plans later on down the road.

Removing your resonator and installing the K&N drop in filter will be a good easy mod that will NOT void your warranty.

If you go for the Cone filter strapped on to the MAFS, put the temp sensor IN the cone filter (fit the wires in there then tighten it down).

I would reccomend the cone filter if you are going to buy a CAI later. If you are just going for a little better performance over stock, go for the K&N drop in, and remove the resonator.

You should be able to do either modification without problem.

GrhyundaiEEN Kore MotorSports currently offers a CAI for the Elantra. www.koreperformance.com

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 05-07-2001, 05:15 AM

Okay...so I will order the cone filter. Anyone know what to ask for.. (ie model number or such). And could someone explain how to do it assuming I am a 13 year old. smile.gif
Old 05-08-2001, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I'll throw instructions up here later today or tonight.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:26 PM

Waiting with baited breath