Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

doing cam research

Old 12-27-2004, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine Cutoff at highspeeds?

OK I am about to tear into my engine to find out what is ticking in there and while I am in there I want to install some new cams. Now I have been all over this site and HP so I have a good grip on things, however I still have some questions. For those that have installed an XD cam have you had any issues with premature wear and tear and any negative remarks about this swap. Another question I have is when this swap is performed did you have to replace any other componets to make it work(i.e. valve springs). And if you have any more tips and suggestions let me know. btw I am not going turbo and I have a beta 1 2.0.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Who Can Read Hangul? WTF is this?

I had the XD cam in my first motor for 20,000 miles with no problem. I did notice a "ticking" sound coming from it after I installed it. I don't know if this is common or not. Also, you will not have to repalce anything as installation is just a matter of replacing one cam with another.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:48 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: A lil hint for winter driving

From what I recall you may want to use the 1.8L cams.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Solo Loses It Part 1

Yes the 1.8 cam is safer. I didn't find this out untill I had installed the XD so I stuck with it. The XD has a nipple on it that effects timming. No one knows for sure if it hurts or helps performance wise. Personally, if I were to do it over again, I would use the 1.8 cam.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: Engine Cutoff at highspeeds?

If your not going full aftermarket, but using OEM parts, you won't need new valve springs. First thing you do is go to your Hyundai dealer and get a new head gasket and 10 or so cam journal bolts in case you break some. Personally, I always replace the head gasket if I go into the engine, just as a safeguard. Some people reuse the same one several times with no leaks, I just like being safe. wink.gif

If you use the 1.8L cam or the XD cam, your only using the intake cam. The exhaust cam on our cars is the best Hyundai has to offer right now. If you go custom, i.e. 264 cams or something along those lines, you may need new springs and you will need both cams, but the power gains will be much more than Hyundai parts.

On a fully built N/A system (Intake, Throttle Body, Intake Manifold, Header, Exhaust) is where your going to get the best gains from the cam. The whole purpose of them is to get more air in, so if your using the stock intake, you won't have anymore air to get in there.

Fully Built N/A Gains:

1.8L Cam 2-5 whp
XD Cam 4-7 whp
272 Cams 9-12 whp

272 cams are probably the highest you can go and still be street drivable. I personally wouldn't regrind the cams in your car, but get a new set made. Grinds of stock cams tend to be weak.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Civic Front Strut

Iron, did you already purchase the XD cam?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: Solo Loses It Part 1

1.8L Cam 2-5 whp
XD Cam 4-7 whp
272 Cams 9-12 whp

lol... like a snowfall forecast!!!

The minute I get my 1.8L Cam in January from Kspec (already on the way) I will tell you guys if it's worth it.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:03 AM

Default Re: The end of my car probs... or not

no I haven't bought Anything yet, but you guys are being very informative.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:30 AM

Default Re: The end of my car probs... or not

QUOTE (hamhead)
If your not going full aftermarket, but using OEM parts, you won't need new valve springs. First thing you do is go to your Hyundai dealer and get a new head gasket and 10 or so cam journal bolts in case you break some. Personally, I always replace the head gasket if I go into the engine, just as a safeguard. Some people reuse the same one several times with no leaks, I just like being safe. :wink:

I certainly hope you are talking about the cam cover gasket and not the head gasket. He is not taking the head off of the car, so there is no reason to disturb that in the first place.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: A lil hint for winter driving

Hrm... oops brain fart. oops.gif BTW, KSpec sells the 1.8L cam? I only saw the XD/GT Cam when I was there last time.