Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Demise of the Dipstick

Old 04-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Demise of the Dipstick

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/22/technol...on-dilatory-dr/

The practice of opening the hood at every fuel stop used to be routine. With an oil-soaked rag in hand, the worker reached over and pulled out the hot metal dipstick, and after a quick cleaning swipe, the dipstick was plunged back into its tube and pushed down into the sump of scalding oil. Withdrawn again, a tell-tale black film in the middle of the scored lines marked the oil level very accurately.
Today, many late model vehicles are running sans oil dipstick. Electronic oil level senders have replaced the metal rod – to the bafflement and frustration of the few remaining hands-on enthusiasts everywhere.

In an effort to find out who exactly is responsible for the dipstick-abolishing movement, Autoblog contacted Audi, BMW and Porsche – three respected German automakers who have embraced the technology for several years. All three gave us the same answer. Contrary to Internet rumors, the elimination of an inexpensive metal rod is not a cost-cutting measure, nor is it an environmental issue (word on the web said each check of a dipstick introduced ounces of polluting dirty oil into the ecosystem).

Quite frankly, the automakers point out that we simply don't need dipsticks anymore. Why? Because owners don't use them. While they don't specifically say it, those who engineer and assemble our new cars (and guarantee new vehicle warranties) are much more comfortable knowing that a silicon chip is monitoring the oil level – not a consumer who hasn't checked tire pressures (or even opened the hood) since the last time the Vikings won the Super Bowl.

Today's comatose driver expects everything to be automated – and it is. Look no further than the myriad of digitized warning lights on the dashboard when the key is turned (um... make that the start button). Don't blame the automakers for the disappearance of the dipstick – blame the public at large.

This all comes down to owners being lazy. I'm sorry, but electrical parts fail, and so do sensors. A dipstick doesn't fail. Leave mine alone. thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That would be really frustrating.

If it was a level sender with a gauge that showed oil level I would be okay with that, but NOT just an oil level light.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Yeah, they dumb it down too much.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

::Facepalm::
Old 04-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I'd be in heaven if the gov't outlawed automatic trannys to try to save gas. 85% of the traffic on the road would be gone overnight. My dream car is a 200whp, rwd, under 2,500 Lbs., manual steering, manual windows and locks, no radio having car that costs under $20K.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i think the world is really crumbling and being inhabited by complete tools all around the globe.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

QUOTE (i8acobra @ Apr 27 2010, 09:13 PM)
I'd be in heaven if the gov't outlawed automatic trannys to try to save gas. 85% of the traffic on the road would be gone overnight. My dream car is a 200whp, rwd, under 2,500 Lbs., manual steering, manual windows and locks, no radio having car that costs under $20K.

I heard new autos are getting to the point of being more efficient than an optimally driven manual. and dude, you need to get a 944, those are fun cars.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Sigh..first they switch from complete standard, to standard/automatic with the padals to switch gear but no clutch..now they take out dipsticks to put more electronics..which wear out and fail..lazy people for the loss