Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Debate On Oil Coolers.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyway, i was talking to someone about the styles of oil coolers and trying to somewhat justify more expensive coolers compared to others. so without going any further about the 'debate' i will tell you what i think, and why, and which i would buy.

i would vote for this type of kit for the following reasons: it has much better hardware than the other, IMO. it has over 9 feet of stainless steel braided hoses, bracket to mount the relocation part, 3 AN fittings, which pretty much will never leak, sensor taps and plugs for oil temp/pressure sensors, much better style of radiator for cooling, which IMO justifys a big price increase.. this one is 350$ shipped.

heres the details.
For those with performance gauges, there are also two 1/8 point sensor holes in the oil-block adaptor to fit your Oil Pressure/Temp sensors.

Our Full Oil Cooler Kit comes supplied with:

- Fully Stainless Braided Hoses With Couplings (2 x 1.3m & 1 x 1.5m)
- 3 x 90 Degree Aluminum Hose Adaptors
- Universal CNC Aluminum Oil Filter Adaptor
- Universal CNC Aluminum Oil Block Adaptor

heres the other kit.

this kit on the other hand, is ~180$ plus shipping which in the end would be ~150-160$ cheaper, but the design of the radiator for it seems alot less efficient with the tube design instead of veins, and the rubber hosing bothers me, especially with the barb fittings and hose clamps, i have had my hose clamps dig into some hoses and they start leaking, AN fittings will never leak, or have the chance to, and the stainless lines with in theory last alot longer, and take more abuse if something falls on em, or it rubs. also, this has no sensor taps for oil temp/pressure sensors, and i dont like the idea of thread inserts for some reason.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:07 AM

They will all work, some may be better than others. Some offer the sandwich adapter and others offer a filter relocation option but it all depends on your needs, for minor street use the standard sandwich adapter will work fine but if your going for serious track use you will require the ss braided lines to be nhra track legal and most serious race applications will need to relocate the filter for clearance for larger diameter headers. In my Mustang I had to use one very simular to the first photo you posted cause I was in the 10.99 and faster class which required all oil and fuel lines ss braided in order to run and trust me the tech guys always check but I think that it will be an overkill for the tiburon. The filter relocation might be nice since it will allow you to use a larger oil filter, I think the type of cooler you use all depends on your needs and they make ones for every application from hard core racing to street use.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

Has anyone had trouble getting their oil up to temp in cooler climates with an Oil Cooler? I live in an area that experiences very hot Summers (40*c 104*F) and cold Winters (-2*c 28*F).

I have read that people have run oil coolers on Turbo cars (Nissan GTst's, etc.) and have had trouble getting their oil up to temp, took a very long time. There are thermostat oil coolers, but I have seen them retail at about 800 - 1000 AU dollars.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:08 AM

You can get Oil Thermostats easily and cheap enough. They allow the oil to bypass the cooler until it is warm. If you use the filter relocation kit too, be sure that you install it AFTER the filter or you will be bypassing that too.

Bat Inc. Oil Thermostats <--- click me!

I have used both styles of oil cooler on my cars. I used the barbed fitting on my vdub and the braided line version on my fiat. There is NOTHING like the experience of going down the road and blowing an oil line off of the barbed fitting, especially if you are driving an air cooled car and the flowing oil spills down the exhaust heat exchangers (how you get heat in an old vdub) and fills the cabin in oil smoke. I had it happen several times and it was one of the reasons I sold the car.

My fiat used the braided lines from one of the parts dealers for that car. My only warning with that, make sure the lines are both secured tightly and do not run against anything, and that if they do rub, you make sure you protect whatever it is they are rubbing against. Braided stainless steel lines will eat ANYTHING they rib against, that includes the car itself. They are highly abraisive.

In the end though, apart from where the lines ate into the sheetmetal surround for the radiator, I never had a problem with the AN fitting oil coolers. If you really want to get crazy, they make theremcouplers and small fans for the porsche crowd that come on when the oil gets too hot.