Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Death Of The Tranny?

Old 11-17-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have an automatic transmission and it seems to have decided that today "was a good day to die". I drove my car home from work last night, no problems at all. This morning, I pull my car out of the driveway and start pulling up my street, and I start thinking that something isn't right. So I pull out on to the main street and start accelerating and my car isn't shifting!! What a way to start the morning. So anyways, the car got into second a couple of times and then jumped right back into first gear. I also no longer have "powered" reverse, just go fast gravity reverse. Is there somebody out there with some tranny skillz that can give me some ideas as to what my problem is (besides dead tranny)? I have an appointment for Wednesday to have it looked at, and if its a full blown tranny, its going to be time for a tough decision since that would probably run 2 grand or so for a new one.

The worst part is how this happened "over night" (nothing happens over night of course, but thats a whole nother story). Seriously, what the heck, what a way to start a morning.

I don't know if there are any sensors or harness I can inspect for wear or damage, but this still feels like a computer problem to me for some reason (probably just the optimist in me).

My ATF fluid was a little low, but I added some and got it in the middle of the level reading, and I had the tranny flushed/filled in April of this year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

ummm duude... your tranny sounds like it is shot. so i dont know how much help itll be but it should only cost around 1k
Old 11-17-2006, 05:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Sounds like its dead to be honest. Transmission computer wouldn't cause that big of a problem.

Used transmissions for Hyundais, however, are REALLY cheap. You can prob source a used one with low miles for $300-400 shipped probably pretty easily. Or some members here that have went auto-manual might have the old auto laying around if it was in decent condition.

So you might only end up $1000-1300 down the drain, not $2k. Only way you'd hit $2k is if you went to a Hyundai dealer and they put in a new one and ass raped you on labor charges.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:59 PM

I have an auto tib tranny here, and all 3 of my hyundais are 5-speeds, its yours for 50$ and the shipping to get it there. I really just want it out of my garage.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:23 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Call_to_arms84, that would be sweet if it turns out my tranny is fubared. Maybe I can even use my work ups account to ship it, hmmmmm......

Anyways, I am going to take my scanner to it tomorrow and see if there are any codes showing, and then try to drive it home.

How difficult are tranny swaps on our cars? I have a buddy who does a lot of work on his cars so he has all of the tools and hoists, and he works for beer too.

Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Probably take a good day. 4-6 hours for someone with competent ability.

So be prepared with a case or two. cool.gif
Old 11-17-2006, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Bryan aka viper966 said it took him and another friend 8 hours to do, and i like to think hes "somewhat" competant wink1.gif

But its definatly the way to go, but id get that dirt cheap tranny, throw it in, and gather your swap parts while you wait for the new tranny to die. As auto's like to do.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:22 PM

How cold is it there? I was talking to Pandy and he said on cold days the auto in his tib has all sorts of issues shifting until it warms up compleatly.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:22 PM

It hasn't been to chilly here, 40s or so. We did have some nasty fog this morning, so the humidity was probably excessive. It hasn't even rained that much lately, and I even saw the sun today! Rare site in Portland. One of the things I was wondering if the Valvoline place put the wrong ATF fluid in when they did a flush/fill, and everything decided to swell up last night. But it looks like the tranny takes a pretty old standard (spII). and that was back in April, so the timing would be odd.

I went back and drove it tonight, and when I put the car in reverse, nothing happens for like 5-7 seconds, then it starts going backwards, but pressing the gas doesn't make you go faster backwards.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

swap... swap... swap... lol