Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Contemplating Rebuilding My Tranny

Old 06-23-2005, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, my transmission isn't doign too good. In fact, i think it may die soon. I also have a bad throw out bearing that I'm gonna replace (probably do the entire clutch while I'm at it). So, I have a friend who has a rd2 tranny with a bad drain plug, it has less than 50k on it. my transmission has 130k on it and runs like crap. I've thought about using my housing and taking his tranny and using the gears to rebuild mine. Possibly putting in new syncros while I'm there. Has anyone here stripped apart a manual transmission and successfully put it back together here? if so, I'd like some pointers, and advice. also, has anyome seen a manual of guide to doing it? I know most rebuild kits come with some sort of instruction, but I don't wanna spend that much money on it. I just got a beater for the summer so I can take my time doing this. thanks.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:41 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Transmissions are extremely difficult to rebuild and rebuild correctly. The clutch assembly I have no doubts anyone with a lot of time and a little mechanical experience can figure out, but getting into the gears and such might get a touch complicated if you haven't done it before.

One slipup and it'll run worse than your tranny does now.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:25 PM

rebuilding trannies is EXTREMELY hard... well to do it the right way atleast

Unless you REALLY know what your doing... dont try it.

Its way more complicated then rebuilding an engine.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:27 PM

Yeah I have a manual showing the tranny rebuild. Actually was looking at it for an LSD install but you actually have to take EVERYTHING out of the housing to get the LSD out. Looks very involved. I would say if you have a manual, a lot of time, and a LOT of patience you should be able to do it. You may need some tools that you dont have tho. It usually ends up being cheaper to just buy one with low miles on it.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:01 PM

I can handle most anything on the car.. but rebuilding the transmission and setting driveline lash on the differential are the two things I will not touch.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:37 PM

QUOTE (UltraTibby @ Jun 23 2005, 07:27 PM)
Yeah I have a manual showing the tranny rebuild. Actually was looking at it for an LSD install but you actually have to take EVERYTHING out of the housing to get the LSD out. Looks very involved. I would say if you have a manual, a lot of time, and a LOT of patience you should be able to do it. You may need some tools that you dont have tho. It usually ends up being cheaper to just buy one with low miles on it.

Yeah, I was thinking that since I am not relying on the tib and I could take my time doing this, I'd give it a shot. Plus the new other transmission would be free, this could be a free tranny repair. I think from what everyone here says, it isn't a simple step by step and having it come out flawless. Maybe I can have a shop do it for less. who knows, but the cape cod area is devoid of junkyards, and car-part.com has let me down too many times to consider. So if anyone has a good tranny to sell for cheap, let me know smile.gif