Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Compression ratio!!

Old 08-30-2002, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

guys you are wasting energy...he's been trying to jerry-rig this turbo setup from the get go for MONTHS now.

props for trying 2-U, but you are being stupid. Just install the spacer already.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

BTW.... for those of you who don't remember.

he installed new Intake/exhaust cams from CAT CAMS. They were meant for the 1.6L, but apparently they work in his 1.8L. Maybe that is why he's getting boost creep.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stocker:
guys you are wasting energy...he's been trying to jerry-rig this turbo setup from the get go for MONTHS now.

props for trying 2-U, but you are being stupid. Just install the spacer already.
Stocker i understand i have been dumping money but think about it this way.I was told that by installing the Headspacer it IS NOT guaranteed taht the creeping will go away.I had the WASTEGATE WIRED OPENED and it hit 10psi OUCH!!
This is all caused by the port and Polished job and also the IM and 58mm TB.
Im not 100% sure but i have a very good feeling this is causing my BOOST CREEP problems.Now if i install the headspacer and it creeps up to 13psi from its origianl 9 psi set-up then im at SQUARE ONE again.I underrsatnd the compression is lowered to 8.2:1 BUT im still MAXING OUT the stock Pistons in what they can handle.Weather im at stock compression creeping up to 10PSI and ,making over 200WHP or with the SPACER INSTALLED Creeping up to 14 psi and still making OVER 200WHP.They are still being PUSHED OVER THE LIMIT.
I ordered the stronger Pistons from Chris at 8.5:1 and if it creeps tahts FINE and not care.If i have the money i might have to invest in a acustom manifold and EXternal wastegate and this will STOCK THE CREEPIONG period as i have just about done everything and nothing is working.
Imm droping my car off on Wednesday to make a CUSTOM 3 inch MAndrel bend downpipe to see if the creeping will go away.

RANDOM!
I dont have the CATCAMS installed as i had them DYNOYED for JRP and wanted the the DYNO results. smile.gif

Fianlly i understand i dumped money into this BUT it helps the next person with the same hit NOT to do the same set-up as me and was an experience to see if it works.Tahts what these message Boards are for smile.gif smile.gif
Old 08-30-2002, 11:30 AM

i just dont understand why you would order a custom manifold with an exteral wastegate instead of making ur enine strong enough 2 handle the extra power... when u install the pistons get a set of rods as well and ull never have to worry about boost creep again infact boost creep would be good
Old 08-30-2002, 11:35 AM

rolleyes.gif
Old 08-30-2002, 11:53 AM

Hey 2UNIQ I installed the kit the way it is supplied (headspacer) and I have zero boost creep. I have a rock solid 9 psi maximum. I have not modified the down pipe or the wastegate itself. I do have an Apexi AVC-R boost controller though. From what I have read electronic boost controllers help quite a bit at keeping boost where it should be. Everything runs great, I would like to try more boost but the stock clutch doesn't like the power it is getting now! New clutch to come ,just letting you know.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:09 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

2uniq, the larger donwpipe won't help and i'm 85% sure about that.... just last week i upgraded an old dodge turbo to a larger exaust (2.5") versus the stock (2") exaust sytem....
boost went from a easily controlable 10 psi (what he was running every day) to a uncontrolable 15 psi we tried a coupel of things to lower his boost level even unhhoking the actuator rod from the wastegate... results... 17psi at high RPM's so next week we'll oversize the wastegate hole and instal a larger flapper wich will solve the problem
think about it... larger exasut will give you more flow,means less backpressure, means more boost....

Denis
Old 08-30-2002, 02:31 PM

not to diss sr but i know kore has the copper head gaskets that are thicker. I know sr don't like us to post competor stuff. but that is the only place i know that has the copper head gaskets. sorry, random or yam if you want to delete this post it's cool, i don't want to upset you guys.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

the alpine kit comes with a head spacer. wink
Old 08-30-2002, 08:51 PM

im not familiar with the kit u have but im guessing it is a cast manifold with a internally gated turbo. you dont need a new manifold. just block off the gate on the turbo with a flange. then buy yourself a nice 35mm tial wastegate. get a flange for it. i know you can get em at MaxRev or Full-race. holesaw a 1 3/8 hole in the manifold. take it to a weld shop and have the flange welded on. get a 9 pound spring for the gate. assemble everything and go have fun. just put the flange in a central position (like around the collector area) that way the gate can controll your boost pressure effectivly. thats all the gate is there to do, controll boost pressure. it "bleeds" off extra exhaust gasses to keep the turbo from spooling to much. a 9lb spring = 9lbs of boost pressure, so on and so on. a larger downpipe will allow the turbo to spool faster. not increase or decrease boost pressure. if your pressure changes then something is wrong with your gate. post some pics of the turbo set up you have.