Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch Slipping= New Clutch

Old 04-17-2005, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A clutch install will run about $300-400 I believe. Taking the tranny off ain't no simple business.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:22 AM

Vehicle: 99 Tibron

is the exedy a bad brand? or more of an oem replacment? anyone try it?
Old 04-17-2005, 07:33 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

^japan oem replacement company and ultra high performance clutch makers. good stuff from what i hear.. carbon fiber,kevler,bronze,crmanic take your pick. they got the best of both worlds smile.gif
Old 04-17-2005, 07:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

On a stock car, the stock clutch is going to last longer than a Stage III clutch. Stage IIIs bite harder, and get worn down faster than OEM. However when you get to the level where you need it, thats the sacrifice you have to make. Thats why if you notice, more high-end cars go through clutches a lot faster than say, your mom's Excel. Thats if both clutches are designed properly.

200whp would probably slip on an OEM clutch. The Exedy ones supposedly hold 15% more than stock, which is the way I might go, or maybe a Stage II for a little added insruance.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:33 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

thanks everybody, ill try to get OEM and if a stage II comes along for a reasonable price maybe ill snatch it up.

And i figured it would be a few hundred bucks for the install cuz i read how tricky it was lol. i just wanted to make sure it wasnt going to be like $500+... College lets out soon and ill be working at least one full time job (walmart) so hopefully this wont set my turbo plans off very much.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:24 AM

Got a question, I like the fact that the stock clutch doesn't grab instantly like a VW for example, or a french car. (you know what I mean, in some cars you have a point where the clutch just releases, and in some brands (like vauxel and hyundai) you have a grabbing section instead of a specific point.

You get my drift ?

So are the aftermarket clutches still like the oem clutch.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

are you talking about the "sweet spot" if you are then yes they are the same if you want adjuest the throw on your clutch master cyl, also get all the old clutch fulid out if it. what i did when i installed my VHR clutch i put in a new slave cyl, and later i but in a new master and let me tell you sssmooth as glass. the resion why i did this well think about it. u put on a Stage III clutch and the old hadware was stock you will blow out the seals. due to the fact that the new pressure plate has a high relase load. I am just tell all this what happen to me and in korea traffic is hell. it got to the point where i had to kick the clutch twice to get it in to 1st
Old 04-19-2005, 05:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Stage III clutches are going to have more harsh engagement, for instance if you push the clutch in at 3000RPM in second gear, then lift your foot off. The car snaps backwards. Doing that with a Stage III could probably cause whiplash. Adding a lightweight flywheel makes it worse.

Anyone with a Stage III and a lightened flywheel that has never driven one like it before will tell you its like having to relearn stick all over again.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

BTW, Kspec.com is having their next GB, next month, on VHR Clutch setups.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:39 PM

Thats some goods news..... would be the complete kit with the Flywheel or can I jsut take the disk and pressure plate???

That whip lash is because most of the aftermarket clutches don't have the springs on it.... my stepfather bought a stage 3 (i think so) 4 puck clutch for his Beetle from Neuspeed... and he can't move sowly with the 1st... the car began shaking a lot and do some weird noises...