Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch Pedal Loose...

Old 07-10-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

First time this has happened to me. I was driving like normal, when suddenly my clutch pedal was in the depressed position on it's own, completely loose, with no resistance (held down by gravity). After playing with it a few seconds, it sprung up again and I could engage my clutch. However, the pedal seemed a bit looser than before.

Ok, I checked the clutch master cylinder, no leaks, and fluid level is normal. I also sprayed some lubricant on the pedal linkages/spring to see if the spring might have been tight, and inspected the pedal linkages to make sure nothing was loose.

Once the pedal sprung up, the clutch still engaged normally, and shifted normal too. Can this be the prelude to something serious? Maybe it's master cylinder? I'm thinking the spring in the master cylinder did not return back to its unengaged state?

Anyone else experienced this too? Any info appreciated.

--Randy
Old 07-11-2006, 06:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Did it get caught on the carpet?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:09 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

I had a problem with this with my 2nd tib soon after I bought it.

The clutch pedal ended up getting stuck 3/4 of the way down to the floor and wouldn't move up or down. The clutch was dis-engaged too, had to push the car home (luckily, was only about 1/4 mile away).

Anyway, I was lucky and had my old tib (totalled unfortunately) in the driveway and I just yanked the clutch master cylinder from it and put it on the new tib. It has worked perfectly ever since.

Hope you can figure it out.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:45 PM

Ok, well, thanks guys.

Anyways, looks like I found the problem. From the initial outside inspection, it looked like the clutch resevoir was full, but in reality it was completely dry! Apparently the plastic on the inside of the resevoir had been stained, so it appeared to look full on the outside. So, what was actually operating my clutch was some nasty grimey clutch fluid mixed with a lot of air.

I bled the clutch, and pumped out all the nasty fluid out and replaced it with new fluid. This should solve my problem and the pedal losing its spring.

Lesson to learn I guess, is always do an inside visual inspection of your fluid levels! drillsergeant.gif

--Randy fing02.gif
Old 07-11-2006, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Glad it was an easy fix.

I'll bet the fluid that came out was a nasty black, lol.

You should bleed your clutch say every 10k or sooner, I usually bleed it whenever I see it starting to turn grey/black.